4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Old formula Help needed (2003)

Greetings,

History: about 1-2 years ago, I had help (from this forum) on a formula to handle calculating the actual number of workdays between dates. Now I think I understand what is happening with this formula, but I question the results.

as an example: cell EF2 = 02-11-2005, cell GR2 = 02-08-2005

Using this first formula to get the Total number of days regardless of weekends, holidays
    =IF(EF2="",TODAY()-GR2,EF2-GR2)

Results in 3

Now if I compare to the formula results for the workdays:

=IF(NETWORKDAYS(GR20,EF20,Calendar!$E$1:$E$277)<0, TODAY()-GR20,IF(EF20>0,1+NETWORKDAYS(GR20,EF20,Calendar!$E $1:$E$277),(IF(EF<0,1+NETWORDAYS(GR20,EF20,Calenda r!$E$1:$E$277)))))

Results in 5

Feb 8 2005 is a Tuesday Feb 11 2005 is a Friday. For the data in the Calendar page, I do not have any holidays listed, nor is there a weekend between the dates.

2 Questions:

1) how come the formula is returning a count of 5?

2) If the date in EF2 is blank, how can I still see the number of actual workdays (minus holidays and weekends)?

Regards,
    Brad

Thanks

Re: Old formula Help needed (2003)

The first formula results in 3 since 11-8 = 3

The second formula results in 5 since (assuming there is no holidays in the list)

=1+NETWORKDAYS(GR20,EF20,Calendar!$E$1:$E$277)
    = 1+4 = 5

The network days = 4 since 8,9,10,11 (Tues - Fri) are all weekdays.

The number of days should be 4 so I don't know why you add 1 to the networkdays. you must add 1 to the difference EF2-GF2+1 = 4 since to get the correct count

Not sure I understand: If the date in EF2 is blank what are you comparing GF2 to to make the difference? If there is only GF2 then the answer is 1

Steve

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Old formula Help needed (2003)

steve,
    Yea, I am not sure why the '1' is in the formula. It has been too long, and I do not remember the orginal post.

For the second question, As it stands, the formula will return the same number of days open as the first formula until there is a Date in the EF cell. I am understanding a little more for the formula. There must be 2 dates to get the comparision to function.

What I am trying to accomplish is to see the number of working days a item is open (as it is in a state of open). The second result is desired as well, knowing the number of working days After it becomes closed (IE: the EF cell). Not sure if this can be accomplished.

Thanks for the info/help,

Brad