5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Prompts Repeat (2003)

I have a query that has 7 prompts like so - [Enter Health Y,N or Leave Blank] or [Enter Health Y, N or Leave Blank] is Null. When I run the query, it is fine. The prompts just show up once each. When I run the report that is attached to the query with the seven prompts, the prompts all run once and then they all run again. I have this same report and query in another database and it works fine. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Prompts Repeat (2003)

I don't know why that happens, but I'd replace the prompts with references to controls on a form. That way you'll never have to fill in a prompt twice.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I tried that but it said the query was too complicated. That is why I went with the prompts. It works in the main database but for some reason it doesn't work in the small database that is a scaled down version of the main database. I run the query and the prompts work fine - it is just when I run the report that uses the query that I get the 7 prompts and then I get the same 7 prompts. If I Put something in one of the seven prompts, I have to put the same thing in the same prompt of the second set of prompts. If I just put something in the first prompt of the seven and then don't put something in the first prompt of the second set of prompts, the report is not filtered. I redid the query several times but I can't understand why it works when you just run the query and not work when you run the report.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

This used to happen when you have the query open ad it smehow changes the Order by and another property as well. Click in the properties and clear the Order By property and the other one to ( i cannot remember it tho).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you wish, you can post a stripped down copy of your database. See <post#=401925>post 401925</post#> for instructions.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I have just emulated the problem i used to have.
    The query has one or more parameters that need to be entered.
    If you run the query and choose a clumn and sort by that column, then save the query, the sort info ends up in the Order By propertyof the query.
    When you next run the query it asks for the parameters twice, for some strange reason.

The cure is to clear the Order By or Filter properties of the query.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I see what is wrong but I don't know how to fix it. The database is a smaller version of another database. This database I am having the problem with is linked to this other database. I needed another report and the query for the report from this larger database that this smaller database is linked to. From the query I imported, I took everything out of the query and started the prompts from scratch changing the wording. I only put in two prompts. I ran the report and it starts out with the two changed prompts but then it proceeds to prompt for the 7 prompts from the query that is in the larger database. Even though the query that I copied down has been changed, the report is still picking up the prompts in the query that is in the larger database. Is there something I have to do to break the link or relink and if so how?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Open the query in design view.
    Select Query | Parameters...
    Have you declared the 7 parameters there? If so, remove them.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just figured that out. I took out the prompts from the copied down query and it works fine now.