Thanks

Folder Memory (Home Premium)

If I download a program update, I download it to the desktop.. I install it, and then move the folder to a "Done" folder.

But the next time I want to download something, it is, I believe, trying to default to the folder I used prior, which is now not there.

Is there a way to "turn off" this memory option?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Folder Memory (Home Premium)

The next time you do a save of a download file, it should remember the place of the last used folder (it does on my machines). In your example, it would be the "Desktop" as that is where the save was done. This is the same as XP and before.

I do not see where in you example, that the folder would NOT be there as you down loaded it to the Desktop, unless you did NOT tell us everything. Or your term desktop is in reference to you desktop computer not the desktop OF your computer.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Dave,

I think he is downloading to a Folder that he has created on the desktop, and then moving the entire folder.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I did not think of your thinking and you are most likely right.

There is NO way of changing this. Also I never save anything but Icons (shortcuts) to my Desktop, and then there are a few of them. It is the worst place to save anything.

Thanks

Dave:

I'm sorry...

When I save a file that is downloaded to my desktop on my desktop PC, I (usually set up a specific folder along the way.

So, to download update_A, I'll create the folder Update_A on my desktop and save it there.

Funny, it's been only (about) a week, and already I cannot totally recall... but you know, you're right... I used a download manager on XP, and set the default folder *there*... that's why...

Thanks,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I just use the "Download" folder that I have made at the root of the C drive, with sub folders if I wish to keep the file on the drive.
    But if it is just for a quick use, I normally use my "_Junk" folder with is also at the root of the C drive. I takes less time and mouse clicks to browse to these that i does to "made and folder, save to it, use it and then move it".

Thanks

I also use a "Download" folder on the C: along with a "Temp" subfolder if any of the downloads are zipped.
    Works better than using the Desktop or a folder ON the Desktop.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

Yea, that's workable guys, unless you wanted to keep the original download(s), right? 'Cause if you keep the downloads you still end up filing them somewhere don't you? And if (I) wait until after the fact to "properly" file away a download, ... I just get distracted I guess, and then forget the data on the file...

Chuck

Thanks

Chuck,

>>'Cause if you keep the downloads you still end up filing them somewhere don't you?

NO, they are already saved in the download folder.

I DO sort through them occasionally and move the "good" ones to a separate "Storage" partition. Sort of an Archive for them.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just to put my two-cents in here, I have a folder on my C: drive called Temp. Under that folder, I have a sub-folder called Temp Software. The Temp Software folder is where I download ALL software downloads, NEVER to the desktop. In my opinion, the desktop is for icons only, not folders. I NEVER save anything to the desktop.

AFTER I've installed the download from the Temp Software folder, I MOVE the FILE (not the folder!) to a folder off the root, called Software which is where I store ALL software downloads after they have been installed. Even if I decide NOT to install something, I then move it to Software just so I keep the FILE, just in case.

Just about every time I go to download something, the default that Fx shows will be the Temp Software folder, simply because that was the last place to which I made a download. My two-cents worth...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Just to be contrary - I download most things to the desktop, then I usually delete them straight after use (e.g. attachments to lounge posts).

If I am going to keep something then I create a folder for it on another disk, using the full product name for the folder name, and move it to this new folder.

StuartR

Thanks

Stuart:

That's pretty much what I've always done, except that, since I have, a couple times gotten called away mid-act and when I return I can't recall what the heck the file was, I create a folder with the actual prog name right at download time. Then, after setup or "no-go" I either file it off or delete it.

So then in fact my desktop doe stay clear -- you know, clear desk, clear mind? Never has worked for me, but I keep tryin'!

Chuck