New Lounger
    Thanks

Unwanted Characters (2003, SP1)

Word document I e-mailed displays the character "A" rather than a quotation mark;a "B"in place of a dash; and an =sign in place of an apostrophe. The displayed unwanted characters appear to be in bold face. What is the cause and how can I correct the document?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unwanted Characters (2003, SP1)

The characters are formatted with the WP TypographicSymbols font, so presumably the document was originally created in WordPerfect.
    If the WP TypographicSymbols font is not present on your PC, you'll see the characters you describe because Word has to use another font to display them.
    You might download and install the font - Google and ye shall find.

There are many newsgroup threads about converting the characters to "normal" characters, but nothing seems to work really well (I tried a couple of macros but they didn't do anything)
    Can you ask the sender to resend the document in a more contemporary format?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans,
    I suspected that might be the cause, but unfortunately, I was the originator of the e-mail. I received a WP and saved it as Word. Then I edited it. Since I have WP I never noticed the different font. I there a way for me to make a "global" change to my WP/Word document so that it is all in pure Word font format?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, no idea. I stopped using WP almost 20 years ago.

Thanks

I ran a Google search for <code>convert "WP TypographicSymbols"</code> and found an interesting page that says letting Word 2003 open a WordPerfect DOS file, on a computer with WordPerfect for Windows, can cause Word's converter to substitute characters in that font. The page offers a registry fix to block this from happening in the future and a macro to fix the symbols in an existing document -- unless it has already been saved in Word, in which case the macro stops. You can work around that limitation by editing the macro, or you could try a small bit of trickery: close the document, then right-click it in Windows Explorer and choose New rather than Open. This will create a new "Document1" (or whatever number you are up to) which is identical in content to your saved document.

WPDOS - Using WordPerfect Files in Microsoft Word by Edward Mendelson
    http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/wpdos/....html#2003word

Does it help?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wow!! I hope it works. I'm not extremely proficient at Registry changes, so I'll seek some help.

Thanks for the great assist.

Jon