4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Typing is Backward (2003)

I just got the strangest call. I'm not sure I would have believed it if I hadn't seen it. The proxied the user's desktop and watched him try to type an email address in the To box of a reply. The message arrived and thus the reply was in html format. As he typed the letters sent in backwards. The name he tried to type was "terry". It went in "yrret". Instead of the cursor moving to the right of the letter as he typed, it stayed at the front of the textbox and the letters moved to the right. It doesn't appear to happen when creating or replying back to a RTF or Text formatted email.

He showed me how earlier today he had the same problem typing something on a webpage form with the same effect.

I've never seen something like this. I tried emptying his temporary internet files and cookies, closing both IE and Outlook, but the problem stays the same.

Even more strange, when we went back into Outlook and he tried again to type the name in the To box, after typing "t" he paused at which time naturally a list drops down of previously typed names starting with "t" and their email addresses. If selects one of these it appears forwards in the To box like it should, but when he then clicks his cursor in the body of the message and types it goes in backwards. Crazy. Now if he goes back up, deletes the select name and email address in the To box, tries to type the full name again it goes in backwards like before, but then when he clicks the curser on the body now it types forwards. Argh!

What is this about and how to fix it?
    Daisy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Typing is Backward (2003)

Apparently support for right-to-left languages (such as Arabic and Hebrew) has been installed. See if About right-to-left editing and display - Outlook - Microsoft Office Online helps - it mentions a few keyboard shortcuts for switching text direction.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, that didn't do it. The keyboard shortcuts didn't work.
    Daisy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does the user need support for right-to-left languages? If not, let him try to remove it:
    - Select Start | Control Panel.
    - Select Date, Time, Language and Regional Settings.
    - Select Regional Settings.
    - Activate the Languages tab.
    - Clear the check boxes in the Supplemental Languages Support section.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For that user it went away. I recall cleaning out his temp files, resetting his IE to default settings, running a spyware scan (which found nothing), and rebooting. I recall checking his Language tab per Hans' suggestion and noting he already didn't have the boxes checked for supplemental languages.

I didn't think too much more about it until last night when a different user is now complaining of the same problem. Just like the other user, it occurs while writing an email in Outlook and while inputting on a webpage in IE. It goes away when he reboots. Of course, it's not doing it now because he reboot last night.

This morning I checked his Language tab settings and he too does not have the boxes checked. I'm in the process of deleting temp files.

I haven't found too much information in a Google search. It doesn't apparently happen to too many people. Most hits were of people wanting it make it happen. On one website there was a hint to a solution that involved IE and view/encoding. I tested the user's IE encoding setting but couldn't recreate the problem. I also tried changing his settings from Unicode to Cyrillic but still couldn't recreate the problem.

I think I just need to wait until it happens again and recheck the language and encoding settings settings at that time. Any other suggestions are gratefully appreciated.
    Daisy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have a feeling this is one of those weird problems that has no clear explanation or solution...