New Lounger
    Thanks

Word crash (Word 2002 SP3)

I've created a template (rather complex) that opens a multipage user form on File>New event. It works fine on my machine but causes Word to crash on others. Earlier version having fewer controls works for everyone. Your thoughts are welcome.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word crash (Word 2002 SP3)

It's impossible to guess from the amount of information you have given.

What is the nature of the "crash" - are any output files generated? anything in the event log? Can you post the template here for us to try?

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've found the problem. I was trying to force the user into Print Layout view regardless of the current view:

ActiveWindow.ActivePane.View.Type = wdPrintView

Taking that line out solved the problem. I'm sure I've done this in the past, but I probably checked the current view first and forced print layout only if is was in some other view. It's still a mystery, though, why it worked on my machine and caused such a failure on all others.

Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for letting us know the outcome - I haven't come across this one before!

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

I lied (unintentionally)! I have no idea what the problem was (or is).

I took the malfunctioning template and commented out all code not in the properly functioning template. It seemed reasonable to presume that there was a problem with the coding added since the last functioning version. The template then worked without fault as one might expect.

One by one, I reinstated the commented procedures and retested at each step. Each test proved successful, even when nothing was commented out.

This is all very strange, and I wonder if anyone has encountered such a thing before.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sometimes the Visual Basic interpreter becomes confused. Commenting out the code, then uncommenting it forced it to recompile the code. Apparently this was enough to overcome the confusion...

I have several times solved problems with code by deleting a single line, then typing in exactly the same line again...