3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2007 xml format (Office 2007, Release 1)

New to 2007. I send all sorts of Word and Excel documents to others. What's this silly .docx etc. all about? Should I just configure my default saves to use the older extensions such as *.doc and *.xls? Or is there a way to keep the docx and still have others be able to read it. (I saw a prompt once only where I could check "make this compatible with older versions." But haven't seen it since. Is the xml format really worthwhile?

kdoc

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Office 2007 xml format (Office 2007, Release 1)

If you are NOT in a CORPORATE world I would NOT use the DOCX format. I would set the default to be the doc and etc.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft decided to move to a new XML-based file format for Office 2007. In the end, .docx, .xlsx etc. will no doubt become the new standard format. It has several advantages:

- It is an "open" format - other applications can more easily create / manipulate these formats than the binary formats used in Office 2003 and earlier versions.
    - File size is generally smaller (mostly because an Office 2007 document is in fact a zip file containing xml files).

But users of older versions of Office can only read and write Office 2007 documents if they have installed the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 file formats. Note that there is no compatibility support for the new .accdb Access database format.

So if you want to guarantee that all users of previous versions can open your documents, even if they haven't installed the Compatibility Pack, you should set the older formats as default save format for now.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You guys rock!! 10 minutes after a question, and the subject is settled!! Thanks very much.

kdoc