5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Language (Word XP)

I'm working on a complex template, and a message often appears: "The list of common Spanish AutoCorrections is not available." Word offers to insatll the feature. There is no Spanish text in this document, although there are a number of acronyms and names of medications that might be interpreted as non-English.

I don't want end users to see this message. Is there a sure way to avoid it? Is it possible to determine what parts of the document Word is seeing as non-English?

Thanks,
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Language (Word XP)

- Select Edit | Find...
    - Click More.
    - Select Format | Language...
    - Select English.
    - Click OK.
    - Tick the check box "Highlight all items found in", and make sure that Main Document is selected in the dropdown .
    - Click Find All.

All English text will be highlighted. Non-highlighted text is either set to another language, or marked as "Do not check spelling or grammar".

You could also search for Spanish text this way.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I never thought of that.

I thought that the language issue was what was causing my document to freeze when scrolling quickly, particularly when using the mouse in the vertical scroll bar. The document (which is a replica of a government form) has three sections. The base font in the first two sections is Times New Roman. Arial is used in the third section. Section 1 has two tables, each with a few merged cells. Section 2 is a 4 col. x 6 row table, no merge of cells. Section 3 has two full-page tables. Both of them are very complex: merged cells, mismatched columns and rows, many styles. Each table contains an image. I've been meticulous with the styles; there are only a handful of paragraphs which have direct formatting (typically sp before for cosmetic reasons.)

Admittedly this is a complex document. There isn't much choice, as we're obliged to mimic the government form. When I searched for Spanish language, about 8 one-line paragraphs were selected... and then Word froze. This is a protect form with text fields, check box fields and a few REF refields. I have done many, many documents of this nature and have never run into a similar problem. I re-built the template yesterday, but copying/pasting each section to a separate document, and then saving. I created a new "container" template, added the sections/margins, and then pasted the several saved document into the respective section. (At that point, I had not realize the language issue.) I'm in the process of again re-building the template. Is there anything you can suggest, or is the complexity of this document always going to present a challenge?

Thanks,
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The document sounds complicated, but not impossibly so. I don't see why it should pose insurmountable problems. Perhaps our Word experts will have a useful suggestion.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just recalled that the simple 4 col x 5 row table behaved oddly yesterday. In some of the cells, the TAB key produced a tab character instead of moving to the next cell. I've been working in Word XP, but I moved to another PC and Word 2003. I opened the document, saved it to RTF; opened the RTF and saved back to Word. No problem with the TAB key now and the document looked fine. I again opened the document, saved it to XML and then re-opened it. The table cells were very "confused." There were 3 columns instead of 4, and nothing appeared right. Similar results when saving and re-opening with HTML.

So I recreated the table in Word, and pasted the text again, bit by bit. TAB key is functioning well, but saving to XML or HTML gives odd results. Is this to be expected, or is it a subtle indicating that there is something wrong with the table?

Thanks,
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't really know. It might be that HTML and XML don't support complex table structures as well as Word and RTF.