5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dir function (Word 2003)

In one VBA project, I consistently get an error with the following line of code:

If Len(Dir("H:Apps", vbDirectory)) Then

The error occurs on the nested Dir statement and the error is File or Path Not Found. This is code that I use very frequently for many purposes; I've never had this occur before. I've added error trapping to the function so that it returns FALSE if an error occurs as well as if Len = 0.

This occured recently in one global template; I use the identical code in several other global templates with no ill effect. Could there be a reason for this?

Thanks,
    Richard

Thanks

Re: Dir function (Word 2003)

Could it be a permission setting on the server, on/in whatever share "H" represents?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It could well be something like that. When I test for this particular path, I (obviously) know that it might not exist. The usual reason is that a laptop is out of its docking station and the network is not available. For some reason, the local login script still sets some environment variables to H:. That apparently "confuses" Windows into thinking that the drive & path must be present, when in fact they are not.

Thanks for getting me thinking!

Thanks

There is an API to check whether a network connection is disconnected, if you want to go that far, but it sounds as though error handling might be easier.