New Lounger
    Thanks

Attachments (Access 2007)

In Access 2007 when using the Attachments field you are allowed to list one or more (image/icon/text/) files. I have such a field on one of my Forms that primarily displays a JPG image. If I list multiple files I can view them by use of the Attachments dialog box or by use of the mini toolbar. With either control function, whichever JPG I select will be displayed in the field (rendered image or icon) as I work in other fields on the form.

However, when I leave the record, the displayed JPG will not be saved as the default file. When revisiting the record, the underlying binary table will revert back to the original JPG (the normal order of ascending file structure; 1.jpg, 1a.jpg, 1b.jpg). I have a report that is generated from this form that provides selective fields of data and hopefully a specific image file from mutiple choices. There is a lot of discussion on type, size, and overall limitations, but none on how to select and save a particular file to display.

Is there a simple way to save a displayed file when exiting the field or at the very least the record?

IAny help would be greatly appreciated.

Carl

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Attachments (Access 2007)

I have just got around to looking at this. I can't see any way to do what you want. The attachments are listed in Alphabetical order, and the first one is always the one displayed by default. So you could manipulate filenames to have the one you want as the default to have the 'first" file name.

While looking at this I have noticed something odd. I have a table with just one record, but I have made 5 attachments to that record. The Navigation Buttons at the foot of the form says 1 of 5, even through there is only one record. If I add an extra attachment, the number of records does not increase immediately, but if I close and reopen it does.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Attachments (Access 2007)

Thank you for your reply and suggestion. I was trying to avoid changing file structure to achieve my goal. I'm new at Access and no nothing about writing Code. I have searched a lot of Forums and apparently I'm the only one who has asked this question. It seem's to be a reasonable question given that the user has choices but is not(easily) allowed to save a particular one. I don't want to develop a separate Table to store files and resort to List or Combo box to achieve the end result. To your particular oddity I don't have an answer. To give it a try I created a new application with one table, an Auto Number and a Photo Attachment. Using the form wizard I created an attachment field and loaded five files. The Navigation Buttons reflect 1 of 1 records and left or right clicking in the attachment field works like it is supposed to. Sorry, I have no idea why your files are showing up as records.