Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Print white colors as black? (Word 2000+)

The attached document has text in Automatic, Grey, White and Hidden text. ("Here is some text and here is some gray text and here is some white text and here is some hidden text").
    I set Tools, Options, Compatibility "print colors as black on noncolor printers" ON.
    In the print Dialogue I set ON the Hidden text option.
    I print on the trusty old HPLJ40 B&W printer.

The Automatic, Grey and Hidden prints as black.
    The white text does not appear on the paper.
    From this I infer that "white" is not a color in the Compatibility sense.

(I'm tooling around looking for ways to force copyright protection text to appear on the printed page)

On my HP2600N color printer, "print colors as black on noncolor printers" would seem to be futile.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Print white colors as black? (Word 2000+)

With Word 2002 (SP3) and an "HP LaserJet 4350 PCL6" printer, I get the same result as you. The printer does have a setting, however, that seems to do what you want (though I'd guess that it's not a document-specific setting, and for this - network - printer it's not a default setting). The path, from the "Print" dialog box, is "Properties | Finishing (tab) | Details | Print all Text as Black (a check box)". There's a screenshot in the attached document.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks William, I'd never have spotted thta. My HP2600N color has the setting too. An initial Macro-Record doesn't show the setting, although I daresay if I dig a little deeper i might find it.
    <pre>Sub Macro1()
    '
    ' Macro1 Macro
    ' Macro recorded 3/25/2008 by Christopher Greaves
    '
    ActivePrinter = "BBBHP Color LaserJet 2600n"
    Application.PrintOut FileName:="", Range:=wdPrintAllDocument, Item:= _
    wdPrintDocumentContent, Copies:=1, Pages:="", PageType:=wdPrintAllPages, _
    ManualDuplexPrint:=False, Collate:=True, Background:=True, PrintToFile:= _
    False, PrintZoomColumn:=0, PrintZoomRow:=0, PrintZoomPaperWidth:=0, _
    PrintZoomPaperHeight:=0
    End Sub</pre>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Have you considered distributing your material as PDF files rather than Word ones? I've got Acrobat 7 Standard here, and it has some built-in options to control printing, editing, and content copying.

Incidentally, one thing I tried with the "Print colors as black on noncolor printers" setting was to change the white text to something less white (by reducing its RGB values from 255). The text remained invisible on screen, but also remained invisible once printed.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

William, thanks for the valuable feedback.

>Have you considered distributing your material as PDF files rather than Word ones?
    Very briefly, although I've never owned my own copy of Acrobat PDF writer. I've played with shareware substitutes.
    Since I wallow in VBA I'd moved along the track of flexing my muscles in VBA to devise protection schemes - bit of an academic exercise, in a way, but these always garner me new skills.

>(by reducing its RGB values from 255).
    I tried this too. On my HPLJ4L B&W it comes out black with or without "print colors as black" compatibility. Since I elected to trap printing in a FilePrint macro, I figured that I could, as easily, quickly modify a style definition from "color=white" to "color=dark grey" or similar to force copyright text to appear when printed, but not on the screen. I haven't done that yet, but it is likely the path I would go.