New Lounger
    Thanks

Table Corruption with pictures after IE7 upgrade (W2003 sp3)

I've been experiencing table corruption in Word 2003 documents on machines upgraded to IE7. When pictures are pasted (default paste) into tables, the tables become corrupt.

Rolling back to IE6 resolves the issue for now, but I'm hoping to understand what is going on.

If I repaste a "bad" picture as a format other than "HTML Format", the problem is also resolved.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table Corruption with pictures after IE7 upgrade (W2003 sp3)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

In what sense do the tables become corrupt, and how do you notice this? I've been using Word 2002 and Word 2003 in combination with Internet Explorer 7 for over a year now without problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It is not entirely consistent in terms of the messaging we get, but in most cases when a file is created by Save As, closed and then opened, Word pops up a dialogue that says "A table in this document has become corrupted..." In addition, the dialogue has a scrolling text field with a longer message that covers open and repair and other remediation strategies.

Occassionally, this dialogue appears after the Save As command has created the new file; in other words, without the close and open steps.

Thanks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I can't find any reference to this problem.

As a workaround, I'd use Edit | Paste Special... instead of Edit | Paste, so that you can choose how to paste the picture. If you do this frequently, you could record a macro into your Normal.dot template of pasting as a bitmap , and assign this to a custom toolbar button and/or keyboard shortcut.

Thanks

Re: Table Corruption with pictures after IE7 upgra

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 24-Mar-08 21:20. )</P>I'm not sure how the pictures are being copied, but using right-click and then Copy will generally paste, by default, an INCLUDEPICTURE field. This can be converted to the actual picture by selecting it and pressing Ctrl+Shift+F9. However, Paste Special might be faster.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Table Corruption with pictures after IE7 upgra

Thanks for the responses.

The best practice suggestions are all good. We have those in place but of course our users are deeply invested in the personal autonomy that is ctrl-c | ctl-v.

One of our engineers has determined the issue is dependent on one of the myriad login scripts that run in our environment. He is working through a process to figure out which script, which setting. If any valuable information results from the diagnosis, I'll post it here.

Thanks again for the help.