New Lounger
    Thanks

Turning off small caps via styles (2003 SP2)

I'm working with a document that has a number of paragraphs that have to appear entirely in small caps. (Sounds uglier than it is, by the way.) Therefore, I have them formatted using a paragraph style that, among many other things, specifies that they're small caps.

However, in the middle of one of these paragraphs, there's some text (a URL, specifically) that I need to have appear as regular text. However, I can't figure out how to create a character style that specifies the *absence* of small caps. No bold or no italic, no problem--but even though I can get the text to be non-small-caps in the preview window, it remains stubbornly small caps in the document itself.

So, before beating my head against this further, I figured I'd ask those more knowledgeable about Word than me: Is what I'm trying to do even possible? If it is, how do I do it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Turning off small caps via styles (2003 SP2)

I don't think you can use a character style to turn off small caps - apparently small caps works differently than bold or italic.

You can use the style separator introduced in Word 2002:
    - Set the paragraph style to your small caps style.
    - Type some text.
    - Press Ctrl+Alt+Enter to insert a style separator at the end.
    - Select a paragraph style that doesn't have small caps.
    - Type some text.
    - Press Ctrl+Alt+Enter to insert another style separator at the end.
    - Select the small caps style.
    - Type more text.

Notes:
    - The style separator will always be inserted at the end of the current paragraph, never somewhere inside it.
    - You can drag a style separator to another location, however.
    - You must display non-printing characters and/or hidden text to be able to see style separators.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Add the style separator to one of your tool bars. Pick Insert Style Separator or Style Separator from the all commands list.-- It was Insert Style Separator 2 weeks ago. Today it's the other one. Must depend on the update. ----I have Word 2007, but I'm trying to give you 2003 instructions as far as I can remember them.

Insert returns before and after the string you want in "regular" case. Apply styles you want. Put the cursor in the paragraph before your regular case string and click the style separator. Now put the cursor somewhere in the regular case string and click the style separator again. All three paragraphs will be pulled up and appear to be one. If you are viewing formatting marks (via the show/hide toggle), you'll see a little red dashed line around the paragraph marks. that just means they're hidden.

PamC
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Contrary to what you expect, if you create a Character Style with the attributes of Small Caps, and then apply it to text that is already Small Caps, then the result is normal case. This is because the Small Caps setting appears to be a toggle setting rather than an absolute on/off.

So set your character style to turn Small Caps on - and just use it on paragraphs which are formatted already with Small Caps.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That's much easier - thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks

And that works! Thanks. (And all that to find out that small caps is actually a "toggle" setting.)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Too cool. Thank you!

PamC
    Pam Caswell