4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need a Style/Template Walk-Through (2007 SP1)

I need to set up a template with its own styles.

I will cut and paste whole documents created by others into this template: I expect them to use plain vanilla styles, and I'm hoping that the template will reduce my workload of cleaning up their formatting so that the final product looks uniform across submissions from different authors.

What should I name my styles in my template? If they have the standard names, how do I keep them from goofing up my styles that I use in other parts of Word?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Need a Style/Template Walk-Through (2007 SP1)

See Microsoft Word Help FAQ. Tips for understanding Microsoft Word styles and follow the links provided there.

Make sure that you use the built-in Heading 1, Heading 2 etc. styles for chapter headings and the like - they have "magic" properties that make them very useful.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the general advice.

My questions are more specific, but I don't have the tools to phrase it properly. Let me try again with an example.

Suppose I have 2 things: 1) an ongoing project, and 2) everything else. I want to use Body Text in both, but double spaced in the former and single spaced in the latter.

1) Is my solution to have a template for the ongoing project in which Body Text is double spaced?
    2) Is my solution to have a template for everything else in which Body Text is single spaced?
    3) Or, do I have to switch the line spacing of body text manually when I switch templates - (this is how I read your "7 Rules" link)?

P.S. Do you have a link for those "magic" properties?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should create two templates: one for the ongoing project document(s) and one for "everything else". Define styles with the same names in both templates, but with different formatting (if necessary).

For example, if Body Text is double-spaced in Template A and single-spaced in Template B, you can copy text formatted with Body Text (double spaced) from a document based on Template A to a document based in Template B and it will automatically become single-spaced - the text takes on the formatting as defined in the receiving template. It works the other way round too.

See Microsoft Word Help FAQ. Why use Microsoft Word's built-in Heading styles? for an explanation of the usefulness of the Heading styles.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans!