Lounger
    Thanks

category assignment problems (Outlook 2000)

We are running Outlook 2000/Excahnge 5.5.

One of my clients is trying to assign categories in a public folder. In View by Category, when she selects multiple contacts and drags them to a category, a duplicate is created - one stays in <none> and the other is in the category she dragged it to. Any thoughts?

Also, when she selects multiple contacts and assigns a category by right clicking and selecting categories, the category is not assigned. I'd love to know if anyone has ever seen this problem before.

Thanks,

Mary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: category assignment problems (Outlook 2000)

To my knowledge, you can't assign categories on public folders. They can only be assigned on PCs, basically. You'll find the categories in the registry. I suppose one could export that registry key and send it to those involved and have them add it to their registry. Want more info on that?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

did she move the contacts to the folder or create them there? i've seen problems like that on contacts created in different versions of outlook - i'd get several groups of (none) categories.

does it work right if she opens one and adds a category that way? what about dragging contacts to the new category instead of using the right click? (make one contact with the right category first)

FWIW - it works as you want on exchange 2000, it's been too long since i used ex5.5 to remember how it was.

Lounger
    Thanks

[unfortunately] the categories were created in the public folder. Yes, it works if she goes one by one - but there are a lot of contacts to be categorized. She was getting a duplicate contact created if she dragged.