Star Lounger
    Thanks

File path (2007 Word)

We have a company convention of putting the file path at the bottom of all our documents.

I found a way to insert the path without having to type it but my way is inconvenient due to the large number of steps involved: Insert - Quick parts - select Field - scroll to and select File name - toggle "add path to file". Word 2003 made inserting the file path much easier.

I know I can create a macro, or type in the field command, but I wonder if another, easier way already exists. I tried adding it to the Quick Launch list of icons but couldn't find the command.

Everyone in the organization has the same need to insert file paths so an easy answer would help 40 people!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File path (2007 Word)

If you want the file path in the footer of *all* documents, you could open your Normal template, insert the file path field the usual way, then close and save the template. All blank new documents will have the file path field in the footer.
    You'd have to distribute your Normal template to the other users, or tell them how to modify their own version if they have already customized it.

If you want the file path in most, but not all documents, you could create a custom "company" template with the file path in the footer, and make it available in a shared network folder. If users set their Workgroup Templates path to point to this shared folder, the template will be listed automatically in the Templates dialog.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi sboyd,

The same keyboard shortcuts that worked in earlier versions of Word work in Word 2007 as well. For field insertion generally, it's 'Alt-I' followed by 'F'.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. Both suggestions are excellent. I have already changed my normal template and made note of the keystroke shortcut.