3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro to PDF a folder full of Word Documents (MS Word 2003/Acrobat 7 Pro)

Hello,
    I have a collection of MS Word documents that I want to PDF. Now there are several ways to go about this, but in the end, I need to preserve all the Figure and Table links in each document.
    Usually, I will open the document in Word, then click the toolbar button to make an individual PDF. Once that is done, I will then add the single PDF file to other PDF files into one book, using the Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0 - Create PDF From Multiple Files. This has always worked well, but it may not be the most efficient way of handling these files. Anyway, I am trying to see if there is a way to make a Macro that will allow me to point to a folder full of word documents and then launch and run the "Convert to Adobe PDF" found in MS Word (when Acrobat 7 Pro is installed on the computer). For some reason, some of my word documents do not have the figure and table links, when the file is converted into a PDF and then combined into one PDF book. Also note, I am NOT using the Print to PDF, just the "Convert to Adobe PDF" button found in MS Word. So, if there is a way of creating a Macro that will batch process multiple word files (ensuring that the table and figure links remain), then I would appreciate any solutions. Thanks, Jim

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Macro to PDF a folder full of Word Documents (

I haven't got Acrobat loaded here but I thought that from Acrobat, the Create PDF from Multiple Files was smart enough to take the Word documents as input and preserve the links.

Any method that creates the separate PDFs first and then merges these into a single PDF may be prone to broken internal links if the bookmarks (Named Anchors) happen to exist in more than one of the separate PDFs.

If you don't have any luck with Acrobat directly, then a macro solution could do the labour intensive part. This <post:=309,128>post 309,128</post:> should get you started. You would just replace the line printing the document with a line which calls the 'Convert to Adobe PDF' macro in Word.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro to PDF a folder full of Word Documents (

Hello Andrew,

Exactly as you had said. I knew that Adobe Acrobat allowed the user to create a PDF from multiple PDF files or multiple word files, but was not sure if it would preserve all the figure and table links
    from each word document. Well, Acrobat came though and did the job. Although, it did take quite a while to complete. Thanks for your feedback. It's appreciated. Jim