Thanks

Samsung Hybrid Hard Drive for Win XP?

I noticed a 160GB notebook hard drive on clearance for "half price" and took a closer look. It's a Samsung "hybrid" hard drive that uses 256MB Flash memory as a write cache so that the hard drive can be spun down when not needed. In theory this saves power and allows fast restore from hibernation.

The drive is marketed for use with Vista, but I wondered whether it might work with XP. Samsung is largely mum on the question, but the user manual contains an interesting statement that using the drive with any non-Vista OS may require an additional license from Microsoft. This doesn't really answer the question of whether XP users will get the same functional benefits (or drawbacks, as listed in the Wikipedia article) as Vista users.

Hmmm... anyone know about this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Samsung Hybrid Hard Drive for Win XP?

There's an answer abotu XP support about 2/3 the way down this page - Samsung's Hybrid Hard Drive Exposed - TFOT - Vista only according to Samsung.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Thanks, Joe. That carefully worded response about what it is "designed to work with" seems suspiciously incomplete. Hmmm...

In any event, after comparing prices for regular hard drives, I think half price might still be too much to pay for the untested hybrid drive.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

They certainly are ridiculously expensive right now. I suppose like everything else in the tech arena that the prices will plummet when the volume ramps up and a version or two goes by.

Joe
    Joe