5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Linked database (2003)

A while back I asked about linking two databases. The main database would be on a network drive. You said the user should be able to "see" the folder in which the database with the tables is stored, and have full permissions (read/write/create/delete) in that folder. What if they are only going to be viewing the data. They won't be creating queries or doing anything but running reports. Do they still have to have full permissions? Can they just have read? Also, is there a limit to the number of people who can be in a database at the same time? They won't be doing any writing to the database - just viewing and printing reports.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Linked database (2003)

Even if users will only view the data, they will still need to have full permissions on the folder containing the database, otherwise Access will not work correctly. You could give these users a frontend database in which all forms are read-only.

Access should accomodate about 10-15 users simultaneously viewing and printing data without problems. More is possible, but performance will suffer.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

As Hans said, Access requires the user having full permissions to the directory containing the backend database; you enforce what the user can do with the frontend.

The number of users Access can handle without serious performance issues depends on a bunch of factors. How active are the users, what are they doing, the size of the database, how well it it is designed, the speed of the network, the size of the server, and even (as I recently found out) making sure all machines have the latest Office SP. So any number we give you would be just a guess, based on average experience; but as the saying goes, "your results may vary". How many users do you anticipate?
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now that I think about it, how many users in the database at the same time shouldn't be an issue. The database resides on a program called Upfront. When a person clicks on the link to the database, they are given an option to open or save. The users have been advised to save the database so they should be the only one having access to the database that they save. I was off on Friday and when my manager emailed me to investigate how many users can be in a database, I forgot about how the database would be accessed.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the users will always save a copy of the backend database to their hard disk, they don't need full permissions to the network folder, read-only is sufficient.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If the users save the linked database to their C drive, would there still be an issue of how many people are accessing the database that they are linked to. If there are 25 people accessing the main database would the linked database have an issue too.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm confused now. I thought the users would download the backend (the database that contains the tables) to their hard disk. If they only download the frontend (the database with queries, forms and reports, and linked tables that point to a backend database on the network), the limitations mentioned earlier would apply. I have never had 25 users simultaneously browsing a shared backend, but I suspect that response would be slow, especially when many users are moving from record to record or searching. Of course, it also depends on the dependability and speed of the network.