Thread: JET DB update

New Lounger
    Thanks

JET DB update

Hello,

I notice that MS has released new patches (May 2008) for the Jet DB, but since Win98 is no longer supported includes no information about using the updates with Win98. I'm using Office 2000 under Win98 SE, and believe that Access 2000 is probably vulnerable to the attacks that the new patch fixes.

Any advice how to proceed?

My current level on msjet40.dll is 4.0.8015.0 Service Pack 8 (SP8), which I believe is vulnerable to the current exploits.

Can I upgrade to any newer versions of msjet40.dll under Win98SE?

Thanks for the help.

Frank Napoli

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks

Re: JET DB update

I doubt it. Microsoft quit doing security releases for Win98 in July 2006. So even if you could get one to install, the patches have not been reviewed or tested for Win98 compatibility.

Your best bet is plan an upgrade.

Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: JET DB update

A belated welcome to Woody's Lounge!

The version you have is the latest one for Windows 98(SE) according to How to obtain the latest service pack for the Microsoft Jet 4.0 Database Engine, so you don't have to update. Apart from that, the vulnerabilities in the Jet Engine are mostly theoretical ones, I don't there are "live" threats that use them.