3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PC Crashes/Reboots

Hello all.

Once again I seek enlightenment from the celestial body of knowledge lurking here. And, once again, it is about my son's computer - a home assembled box that he and I built a couple of years ago. Some time back, he was complaining that it would randomly freeze up and sometimes reboot itself. Not too surprising given what he downloads and puts on it, I thought.

Eventually, I reformatted the master HD and laid a fresh copy of Windows down thinking that would solve the problem. It did not. Yesterday, we purchased and installed a new graphics card hoping that would solve the problem. Alas, it has not. I am not sure where to look next.

The box is currently running Windows XT HE, McAfee's virus checker, and the graphics drivers. No internet, no Office, no games, zip.

Anybody have thoughts on how I might go about diagnosing the problem? RAM chips have been removed and reinserted. Everything looks good on the motherboard. All suggestions appreciated.

Douglas

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: PC Crashes/Reboots

Is the machine locking up or re-booting?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It does both, but the freezes seem to out number the self reboots.

Administrator
    Thanks

If it is crashing (re-booting) have you stopped the automatic re-boot so you can get some details from the BSOD? Right click My Computer and select Properties. Then on the Advanced tab 'press' Settings in the "startup and recovery" section. Make sure "Automatically restart" is NOT checked. Then OK your way out. The next time the system crashes it should stop and let you record details of the crash.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK. I have done that. Now we will wait for the next incident. If it just freezes and I have to manually reboot it, will there be an information dump somewhere that might offer usable information?

Administrator
    Thanks

Nope. This just helps with a crash. Are you sure you have up-to-date drivers especially for the video card?

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I am not sure. Right now, the PC is not connected to the home network. If I can get it to stay up long enough, I will add a wireless connection and look for both video and BIOS updates.

Thanks

You could try starting in Safe Mode with VGA resolution and see whether the PC then stays up for a lengthy period of time. This would enable you to look in the Event Logs for anything which might be relevant from previous problems.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...