3 Star Lounger
    Lewes, East Sussex, Sussex, United Kingdom
    Thanks

Subform based on crosstab query (Access 2003 SP1)

I have a problem with a subform which is based on a crosstab query. The crosstab query has a parameter which uses the value in a textbox on the main form.

The subform is hidden when the main form opens and the SourceObject property of the subform is blank.

There is a command button on the main form & when it is clicked the SourceObject property of the subform is set and the subform is made visible. However, when the button is clicked the subform only shows as a blank. The subform shows correctly if I open it on its own, as does the crosstab query on which it is based.

If I set the SourceObject property for the subform in design view I get the following message when the main form opens :

"You can't use a pass-through query or a non-fixed column crosstab query as a record source for a subform or subreport."

I tried setting ColumnHeadings property of the crosstab query and saving it - as recommended in other posts - but then I get the following message when I try to pen the query:

"This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated. For example, a numeric expression may contain too many complicated elements."

Can anybody help to find a way around this please

Usual thanks for the expert help

Nick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Subform based on crosstab query (Access 2003 SP1)

How did you specify the column headings?

As a workaround, couldn't you display the crosstab form as a separate form instead of as a subform? Or create a report and display that?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Subform based on crosstab query (Access 2003 S

Hans

I specified the column headings as a string as follows (as they appear when the query runs):

"Voyage","load Port","Discharge Port","Expo Start","Expo End",01/03/2008","01/04/2008","01/05/2008","01/06/2008","01/07/2008"

I really need the form as a subform as it fits in with several other subforms on the main form

Regards

Nick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Does the column heading field in the crosstab query really contain this mixture of text values and date values?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans

It does. The first 5 columns are text, and are fixed. The next 5 are the months from the current one to month+4. These will change every month.

Regards

Nick

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd rethink the setup if I were you, I have the feeling the present one is making things more difficult than necessary.