Lounger
    Thanks

Multi Table Database (VB6 Professional Edition)

I built a single table database that performed as hoped but when I tried to improve it using several tables [per data normalization rules] I had problems. How are TextBox/ComboBoxes bound to different tables and what about datacontrol, what table should that point to?

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multi Table Database (VB6 Professional Edition)

You can have multiple data controls on the same form and bind the rowsource of different controls to different data controls.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can also bind a data control to a command object that uses multiple tables.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

It might be just me, but I've started to have problems with bound data controls when it gets complex.

I find that, although it's more work to set up, I have far more control and flexibility by not using bound controls. For a multi-table situation, I'd just build the SQL to access allrequired tables, use ADO or DAO to query, and populate whatever controls manually.

But of course, if I understood bound controls better, I could perhaps be using them to better effect.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Lounger
    Thanks

Please explain.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can create a command object based on a SQL statement that includes joined tables. You can also based a data control on a SQL statement that includes joined tables. I never work with the older data control, only the ADO version, but you can drop multiple data controls onto a form, so that you can use one for the form itself and another for the rowsource for a datacombo. Is that clearer?
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

I think I too should be more specific in my request, or maybe you've told me and I'm still not grasping it.
    The Project:
    2-Tables, CarsPeopleDrive and Cars. Table "CarsPeopleDrive" has 2-columns, Names and Cars where column [Cars] reference the Models Column of Table "Cars"
    1-Form with2- ComboBoxes, 1 to display current record of Names and 1 to display the corresponding selected record from a dropdown list of Models from Table "Cars".
    Runtime updatable.

Charlotte, if you have time could you work this sample project so that I can learn how it should be completed. John

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your input Geoff. Maybe you could help me work the sample that I'm about to post today ref: Tables VB6.

John