New Lounger
    Thanks

Bullet - full word (2007)

In Word 2003, I was able to create a bulleted heading style where the "bullet" was a full word (e.g., 'Recommendation'). It was a bullet, with no numbering. I can still use this style in a Word 2007 document, but I cannot create a similar bullet - only single character bullets appear to be allowed. I could create a numbered style with text preceding the number, e.g., 'Recommendation 1', but apparently not style with standard text. Any ideas?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bullet - full word (2007)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

I don't have Word 2007, but I don't see any way to create a multi-character bullet in Word 2003. I can customize a numbered list, and replace the number with a fixed text. See screenshot below. Note that is is a number format, not a bullet. Isn't that possible in Word 2007? (On the Home tab of the Ribbon, in the Paragraph group, click the dropdown arrow on the Numbering button, then click 'Define New Number Format...', and edit the Number format box)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (11.3 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,

Thanks! I can't swear that it was a bullet format (I don't remember), but Word 07 indicates that it is. Word 2007 numbering appears to insist on an actual number. In the 'Define new number format' dialog box, choosing '(none)' for Number style greys out the OK button, as does deleting the number field in the Number format box. There is no way to actually OK/submit the new format unless it has an actual number in it. In your example, even though there's no number in the Number format box, the OK button is clickable. In 2007, in the bullet dialog, there is no way to type anything - only single characters can be selected.

I attached a Word document with an example of the style - Heading 5 or ZZZ. I can transfer the style to other documents, but can't seem to recreate it. Either I was cleverer then than now, or it's a difference between Word 2003 and 2007.

PS in this example, the repeated 'bullet' is "Next", not Recommendation.

PPS I have to wonder why "(none)" is even an option for Number format in 2007, if you can't actually choose it!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When I open the document in Word 2003 and select Format | Bullets and Numbering..., it turns out to be Outline Numbering, not a bullet. See screenshot below.
    Apparently the way bullets and numbering is handled has changed in Word 2007, so I'm afraid that I can't help. Hopefully someone who has Word 2007 will have a suggestion on how to do this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (18.1 KB, 0 views)

New Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,

Many thanks! The tip that it was outline numbering was all I needed. Word 2007 handles this in a whole different way (in terms of access and dialogs), and calls them multi-level lists. (And it's hard to see what you've got.) But, with your suggestion, I got into it. Problem solved.

PS I've spent several months now with Word 2007 - long enough to get used to the ribbon, etc. Word 2003 is still much better. Don't switch!