5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error in loading dll (2003)

I've got a copy of a database and have re-designed a form including VBA code. I've then compressed the file and sent it back. I've given instructions to use Get External Data/ Import to import the new form and then delete the old one. However, having selected the form in the list the error message 'Error in loading dll' occurs. Any clue as to what the problem might be? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error in loading dll (2003)

Let the user check for missing references (Tools | References in the Visual Basic Editor).

If that doesn't help, let them try re-registering DAO on the problem machine:
    - Select Start | Run...
    - Type

Regsvr32.exe "C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedDAODao360.dll"

- Press Enter or click OK.
    - You can try the same for ADO:

Regsvr32.exe "C:Program FilesCommon FilesSystemADOMsado15.dll"

If that doesn't help, try reinstalling MDAC and Jet 4.0: see Data Access and Storage Developer Center: MDAC Downloads.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I'll try and persuade her to type it.. Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you use a split database design (backend with tables, frontend with links to the backend and queries, forms etc.), you could simply replace the frontend with a new version. The backend with the data would remain untouched.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree, but it's difficult to persuade people of the benefits of splitting when they're only allowing a couple of days for the work anyway.

The ADO reference didn't work. I suggested she change 15 to 21 in the path, and possibly .tlb rather than .dll. This shouldn't cause a problem should it? Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't think that you can use regsvr32 with a .tlb file (only with .dll and .ocx).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I wasn't sure, but when I use Tools/ References and select the ADO reference on my computer I could see that the file location is for a .tlb file... Ta, Andy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

She's tried modifying the 15 reference to 21 and receives the following error message:
    " C:Program FilesCommon FilesSystemADOMsado21.dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
    C:Program FilesCommon FilesSystemADOMsado21.dll does not apprear to be a .DLL or .OCX file. "
    Any ideas?? Thanks, Andy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

On my PC, there is no several msado*.tbl files, but there's no msado21.dll, only msado15.dll (OK, there's also msadox.dll, msadomd.dll and msador15.dll but these represent other libraries).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I'll ask here to try a few things. I think I could remove the reference to ADO as my code uses DAO anyway. Detect and Repair might help. Maybe copying and pasting the form and then importing/ copying the code across.. This won't happen to tuesday, but I'll probably come back to this issue. Andy.