Star Lounger
    Thanks

recycle bin won't empty

hi --

using winme, my recycle bin won't empty and the recycle bin looks like a regular
    folder, not the recycle bin icon ... i have been to the k'ledge base and
    reconfigured the maintenance wizard ... that worked once, but after empting
    the bin, the problem comes back ... also, saw in the k'ledge base to make
    sure the disk is not checked as removable in the properties tab of the hdd
    tree in device manager ... i checked and unchecked ... no help ...
    interestingly, when i try to empty the bin, the files are renamed "dcn"
    where n is an incresing number ... and, i've also tried to go out to dos and
    deltree the recycle bin ... that did help temporarily, giving me a proper
    recycle bin on the next boot ... BUT, after subsequently deleting files and
    emptying the bin, the recycle bin reverted to a folder in which the new
    files were not deleted

is there a registry setting that is causing this? any other suggestions??

a reformat of the hdd is not feasible ... i have LOTS on that drive and
    can't back it up for a while (due to circumstances)

HELP!!

steve weiss

pls reply to my email, in addition to this newsgroup ... thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: recycle bin won't empty

Is System Restore a possibility?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

not sure ... i don't have a REAL windows CD, but rather a system restore disk ... don't they wipe out all of the hard drive in the process? ... that would NOT be ok, since i have lots of stuff on the HD now, and can't make a backup for a while (due to various circumstances) ... i think there has to be a less disruptive way to solve this mystery ...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What I was referring to is the System Restore tool in Windows ME: go to Programs-->Accessories-->System Tools-->System Restore. This tool allows you to automatically restore settings to a time (within limits) prior to when the problem started showing up. I've used it several times when my registry developed problems, usually after adding/deleting some software problems, and it cleared up the problem. Again, you need to have an idea of when the problem started appearing and then pick a date/time prior to then.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

unfortunately this has been a long-standing problem (which is more annoying than critical to operations) lve ... so i don't think system restore would work (and i constantly install new software so i'd be wary of new inconsistencies that i'd create)

good thought, tho

by looking at the k'ledge base article, i figure that what seems to be happening that i'm missing a desktop.ini for that folder and when i get it recreated by using the maintance wizard, it gets hosed again when i empty the bin ... so the question may be what should the desktop.ini be and how to i keep it from getting re-deleted when i empty the bin???

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Might try this link:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.pcforrest.freeserve.co.uk/recycle_bin.htm>http://www.pcforrest.freeserve.co.uk/recycle_bin.htm</A>

Lounger
    Thanks

have you tried making the folder (desktop.ini) hidden. mine are hidden and archive.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

no ... because my bin is now a folder, i don't have that desktop.ini anymore ... could you email me yours (so i can copy into the recycle folder?

Lounger
    Thanks

i can probably do that but you need to underestand that the settings will be from my computer. also a folder is what you want. you should be able toright click on it then choose properties and then at the bottom you will see check boxes to make it hidden, archive, etc. i can also probably send you the recycled folder which is also a hidden folder on that particular drive. i also have the single drive partitioned to 3 drives, so don't know if that makes a difference or not. any way will try to email the folders to you.

Lounger
    Thanks

also i just reread you message about putting desktop.ini in the recycle folder. it doesn't go there. desktop.ini is in the root directory fo my c drive as is recycled. both are hidden. and they are two completely different items.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

i'm sooo confused ... see the kb article Q231838 that describes my problem as having a missing desktop.ini in the recycle bin ... the problem is that the proposed solution worked once but won't work after i empty the bin (i figure that the attributes of the desktop.ini are not being set properly so that everytime i empty the bin, i throw out the ini also??)

Lounger
    Thanks

that's possible. i would suspect that the desktop.ini file is not being set to hidden is why it is being removed. and as far as i know it is a seperate file in the root directory of every disk drive.
    i sent the file and a note to you via email.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I once had a Norton product take over the recycle bin. Would not delete, until I uninstalled the product. It could have been in 'System Works', or 'Personal Wirewall'. Stopped using both.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

sorry for being late to get back on how i solved this problem. it turned out that the best way to get a clean recycle bin was to go to dos and deltree the recycle folder ... that had worked before, but the problem subsequently came back ... i found that, after the recycle bin was restored, attributes of the desktop.ini and the recycle folder were not properly set to hidden, system, read only ... i fixed that once, but the problem resurfaced until i did this procedure several times in a row!! now, i've got my recycle bin back and emptying normally