Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

WordArt (97/2000)

I've had someone ask me how I created my sig. It was very simple, using WordArt to create; then taking a screen shot and clipping the pic to the right size.

I know many are familiar with WordArt- but just in case, here's a quick run-down.

Insert, Picture, WordArt

Select the effect from the gallery

Enter the text (You can change font and font size)

Press OK.

Cick on the Picture to edit.
    .Click on the
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WordArt (97/2000)

Geoff,

I was just finished preparing a presentation on WordArt for my computer club. I decided to look at the Word Lounge to see if there was anything I might have missed and saw your post.

FYI (since I've gotten so much help here): there are a few effects in the style gallery that are not obvious on how to change - particularly 3-D and shadows. In WordArt, in fact, there is NO way to change these. However, if one selects the WordArt object and has the Word drawing toolbar visible (or your other favorite Office app), you can use those buttons to change the corresponding effect of the WordArt object. Other buttons (like line style, fill, line color) from the Drawing toolbar also work on the WordArt object, even tho there are also ways to change these from WordArt's Format menu.

Just FYI.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff,

Meant to ask in my last post - what is
    The dog button allows positioning of text against the picture ??

On my PC's, I don't have such a thing; the rotate button is followed directly by the Aa button.

On one PC, I have WordArt 3.2, which I can tell when I insert WordArt using Insert Object and that's what's listed in the object listing. On my other PC, WordArt is NOT listed as an object at all. Any idea of how that might have happened and how to fix it? Having WordArt available as a general object allows it to be inserted into non Office programs (altho I don't have the 3D and shadow capabilities mentioned in my last email).

thanks

fred

Thanks

Fred,
    Attached is screen-grab of what I have on my WordArt toolbar. Is it possible you have lost some buttons?
    If so, you could probably replace them from the customise window - the tools are under 'Drawing'.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif x.gif (7.0 KB, 0 views)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

Thanks for the post. It's good to know that a post so old still provides some info for people later. That's one of the good things about the lounge- it providea a great repository of information available to people who come later. That's why it's always helpful, even if people find their own solution, to post the solution they;ve found themselves. There's always someone who can benefit.

A new lounger (a consultant) found a solution here a while ago which saved a week's work- and which made a solution provided acceptable to the client.

I hope Leif's response has helped. I suspect he's given you the answer. If not, let us know
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Geoff, Leif,

Thanks for the response guys. A few things.

1. I'm attaching a screenshot with my WordArt toolbar and my Customize Commands. I think we may be talking about different versions of Word. As you can see from my screen shot, I have the free rotate button where you had the "text wrapping" (Geoff's wording of "positioning of text against the picture " confused me so that I didn't even recognize the function, let alone the icon graphic). I've ADDED text wrapping to the END of my WordArt toolbar, so you can see what my icon looks like. (This is the first customization I've ever done to the WordArt toolbar.) I'm guessing you're running 2K while both of my machines at home have 97. But I'll check this at work, where I have 2K.

2. I posed a problem, which I could still use an answer to: "On one PC, I have WordArt 3.2, which I can tell when I insert WordArt using Insert Object and that's what's listed in the object listing. On my other PC, WordArt is NOT listed as an object at all. Any idea of how that might have happened and how to fix it? Having WordArt available as a general object allows it to be inserted into non Office programs."

3. I also discovered something else that could be very useful. When right clicking a WordArt object, the shortcut menu has the general Drawing menu functions of "Grouping" and "Order". However, the "Rotate and Flip" (RAF) functions also can be used. There is NO customize item for this. However, the entire RAF menu can be added to the WordArt shortcut menu as a submenu as follows:
    - open the Customize dialog as normal
    - on the Toolbars tab, check the Shortcut Menus checkbox
    - click on the "Draw" button to open the menu
    - drag the RAF menu item to the "Shortcut Menus" toolbar; hold it over the "Draw" dropdown until it pops down; drag it down to the WordArt item until it pops open; drag RAF onto the WordArt shortcut menu and position it where you want (being careful that you don't stick it onto another menu, like the Order menu).

4. I also suggested in my earlier post on this (you guys responded to my 2nd post altho my 1st post didn't necessarily need a response) that WordArt styles also have shadow and 3D effects but it may not be obvious how to change these. Several of the Word Drawing toolbar icons can be used to edit a WordArt object, including the shadow and 3D icons (or you can add them to the WordArt toolbar). So just FYI for all the help I've gotten.

Thanks again.

Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Fred,

1. I can confirm that the "Dog" icon is a W2K thing, and that W97 uses a diamond instead. Apologies for the confusion.

2. I can't help on this one- I've always used Insert Picture. I don't have Wordart as an option on my machine. My guess is that it's an installation option. The only thing I can find from the help is
    <hr>Only programs that are installed on your computer and that support linked and embedded objects appear in the Object type box.
    <hr>

3 & 4. Thanks for the info. It's always useful to learn more, particularly things which can be useful but which are hidden away.