Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Macro Security (2003)

Hi,

I have a user who has a machine that is now running Window's Vista. They need to change their macro security in their excel file to medium and tools/options/security is not there. I've not used Vista so I can't visualize it to walk them through it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro Security (2003)

That is not dependent on the version of Windows. Are you sure they are using Excel 2003, not 2007? If so, they need to set macro security in Tools | Macro | Security. If they don't see the Macro submenu, they're probably using individualized, shortened menus. The full menu should become visible if they click the downwards arrow at the bottom of the Tools menu. Alternatively, they can right-click any toolbar and select Customize... from the popup menu. Activate the Options tab of the Customize dialog and tick the check box "Always show full menus", then click OK.

Post back if this doesn't help.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi,

To the best of my knowledge it is 2003. I walked them through how to do tool/macro/security but they said that in Vista the have "pictures" not the standard tool bar they are used to looking at in XP.

Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Leesha,

That makes me think they have Excel 2007, where the menu bar and toolbars have been replaced with the so-called Ribbon, with lots of pictures. This is not a feature of Windows Vista vs Windows XP, but of Office 2007 vs Office 2003 and earlier versions.

Change macro security settings in Excel explains how to change macro security settings in Excel 2007. You can either try to help them using this article, or click the "Email this link" button in the article to forward it to them.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans!

You never fail to amaze me. I was able to get in touch with their IT Engineer over the WE and sure enough, they are running Windows XP and office 2007. I'll send them the link you gave me. Also, they told me their Access database is acting up on her machine. I'm not sure what "acting up" means but am wondering if a database built in Access 2002 will have issues in 2007.
    Thanks!
    Leesha

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2007 can work with a database created in Access 2002 without conversion, but there are some potential causes of problems:
    - Security is tighter in Access 2007.
    - If you have set non-standard references in Tools | References... in the Visual Basic Editor, they might not be found under Access 2007.
    It would be useful to know in what way the database is "acting up".

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I agree re knowing what "acting up" means. It's a new employee, therefore new computer etc. This past week is their "hell week" where they work pretty much 24-7 to get billing out. She had problems with the database but never told anyone (probably scared) until the excel macro's kept blowing up on her. I'll know better this week what the issues are.
    Thanks!
    Leesha