3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Animated Pie Charts ((Office 2000 SR-2) )

(Also posted in the Excel forum)
    I would like to be able to quickly create an animated pie chart. I can create a series of ordinary static ones showing the same four statistics for each day in a given date range. But I want to 'animate' this series into a pie chart movie which will dramatically illustrate the variation over time of those four statistics. I can sort of imagine the coding I would have to write to achieve this but was wondering if anyone had already done this exercise and could suggest something to shortcut the work required? My guess is that you'd write code to produce a series of targa or tiff image files of the charts then rotoscope them with suitable software into an AVI.
    Any leads would be most appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Animated Pie Charts ((Office 2000 SR-2) )

Maybe create an animated gif, and display in a browser?

You would need to export your charts as gifs, and then use something like Animation Shop, which comes with Paint Shop Pro from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.jasc.com>http://www.jasc.com</A>, to create the animated gif from the single gifs.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Geoff, good ideas.
    But perhaps I didn't explain myself sufficiently.
    I want to automate the process so the hard work is done once and for all. Henceforth I would then just create a button on a form in Access that would carry out the whole process - including the rotoscoping- automatically.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Then maybe something in Powerpoint might be able to help? At least you have the possibility of automating that process?

Exporting graphs as gifs from Excel is easy to automate- you can automate Excel from Access. I don't know Powerpoint, but I thought that it was possible to overlay pictures to give an animation effect.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I've done someting in VB which may be of use. I've used VB because it has a timer control which simplifies things a little, but it could probably be done in Access or Excel VBA using Application.Ontime or similar.

I have a form with a timer control (Timer1) and an Image control (Image1).<pre>Option Explicit
    Dim intCount As Integer
    Private Sub Form_Load()

Timer1.Interval = 500
    intCount = 1
    End Sub

Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
    Dim strPicture As String
    intCount = intCount + 1
    If intCount = 5 Then
    intCount = 1
    End If

strPicture = "d:MyDirData_2001_" & intCount & "PicName.gif"
    Image1.Picture = LoadPicture(strPicture)

End Sub
    </pre>