New Lounger
    Thanks

Install Add-In using VBA (2003 SP3)

Hi All

Asking for help again - and a huge thanks in advance. Don't know what I'd do without you.

I have a number of templates in Word's startup path (local drive) & which are therefore loaded when Word starts. When I look at Tools, Template & Add-ins, all these files are checked, as you would expect. I need to do one of two things: Sometimes I need to un-check one of the templates, copy down a revised one from a network backup to the local drive and then tick it again. I can make that work fine. However, sometimes the template in question wasn't in the startup path in the first place and I need to get it from the network & check it. Can't make that work - I can copy the file down and I can see it in the add-ins list but I canot make it checked. (So basically, if the file was there in the first place I can make it work but not if it wasn't there to start with - almost as though I need to 'refresh' the add-ins collection). Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, please? I feel as though I must be missing a step - although if I record checking the add-in manually, I get more or less the line shown below as Option 1. (I've tried this on XP & Vista). Option 2 was another attempt.

Option 1:
    Addins("MyTemplate.dot").Installed =True

Option 2:

For EachMyAddin In AddIns
    If InStr(LCase$(MyAddin.name), "mytemplate.dot") > 0 Then
    AddIns.Add MyAddin.name, Install:=True
    MyAddin.Installed = True 'belt & braces as didn't get ticked with previous line
    Exit For
    End If
    Next MyAddin

Many thanks.
    ArchieD

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install Add-In using VBA (2003 SP3)

What happens if you quit and restart Word after downloading the template?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Install Add-In using VBA (2003 SP3)

Hi Hans

Thanks for your response.

That works because then the template is already in place in the startup path.

Regards
    Monte