2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Distribgution Lists Display in To Field (2003 and 2007)

Just a quick question, we are in the process of migrating our folks to Outlook from GroupWise. We are used to using Distribution Lists or Groups as they were called in GroupWise. Is there any way in Outlook to select a List in the TO field and have the List Name appear rather than all the individuals? I know you can use a Bcc, but I'd prefer being able to see the list name? Your thoughts and ideas on whether it can even be done would be appreciated.
    Thanks much, Judy Crawford

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook Distribgution Lists Display in To Field (2003 and 2007)

Yes, you can enter the name of a distribution list in the To: box (or in the CC: or BCC: box).

See Create and work with a distribution list.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'd already read that portion, but unless I'm missing something, everytime I add the list to the to cc the entire list of names shows. I want just the name of the distribution list to show, nothing that shows all the members names because the list is too long. I may be blind, but I can't figure this one out. Thanks Hans.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I think this depends on whether you're using Outlook in stand-alone mode or with Exchange Server.

Using Outlook stand-alone, a distribution list is expanded to the list of its members when the message is sent. I don't think that can be avoided.
    Using Outlook on Exchange Server, I think the recipients see the distribution list, at least if it consists of members of the global address list on the server.

A trick you can use is to create a contact whose name is Undisclosed recipients and whose e-mail address is your own.
    Enter Undisclosed recipients in the To: box and the distribution list in the BCC: box.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. We are using it with Exchange Server, but it still happens. I'll have to get used to the undisclosed recipients user trick for large distribution lists--just not something we had to do in GroupWise.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Try making a contact whose e-mail address is the distribution list. Per the "show the names in a distribution list" section at Create and work with a distribution list - Outlook - Microsoft Office Online: Distribution lists in the E-mail field of a contact cannot be expanded.

Joe
    Joe