Thanks

PageMaker to Word (PM 7.0 and Word 2003)

I have .pmd file that I want to convert to Word. I have no experience with PageMaker since my Mac days back in the mid-1990's. When I look at the PageMaker file, it is laid out a like a book such that when it prints, the first page that prints will contain the beginning page and the ending page of the book, then next printed page contains page 2nd from beginning, 2nd from ending, and so on.

I tried exporting the file with limited success. If I export to .rtf, only a few pages export, not the entire file. If I export to .txt, I get most of the file and it appears to be in order, but I'm not sure all of the file is there. If I export to .html, I just get a "picture" of the book.. not very helpful since I would have to get the thing in proper order.

The PM file is Pagemaker 7.0 and I'm using Word 2003. And, by the way, there are several tables throughout this document. There is also a table of contents but it does not appear to be linked to anything. It looks like it is text only. Actually, the entire file appears to be text only. I just need to get the darn thing in the proper order in a Word file.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: PageMaker to Word (PM 7.0 and Word 2003)

I don't have any experience with this myself, but from Googling around I get the impression that there is no easy solution if you want to end up with an editable document. You may have to copy and paste the text from PageMaker to Word page by page, in the right order, then either copy and paste the graphic elements one by one, or import them into the Word document from the original sources if they are still available. The document will probably have to be formatted extensively.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Can you get into the story editor using Pagemaker and select the text there?

Based on my patchy memory of Pagemaker, if the text frames are all linked together and threaded in the right order then you should be able to copy the content in one pass. But if the text frames are not linked, then you may need to copy the text one frame at a time.

Tables probably wont export at all well - you could try an export to pdf and then use acrobat's table copy tool to see if that helps there.

The TOC from Pagemaker will be no use, you will need to recreate this in Word but this is a simple task once you have the styles under control there anyway.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks

I did my own Googling and discovered that what I stated in my first post appears to be the only options. They do work, to an extent. The formatting is a bit strange when it gets into Word. The document was only 30 pages so I just printed it and used OCR. The formatting from the OCR doc was easier to work with than the exported PM doc. Thanks for your comments!