Sherry R

Strange characters in e-mail attachments (2000/ 9.0.2720)

In the past when I converted documents from WordPerfect 8 to Word 97 to attach with e-mail, some of the characters became converted, i.e. bullets became dollar signs and apostrophes became equal signs.

Since the conversion looked fine in my Word 97, I thought perhaps it was going from 97 to the recipient's Word 2000. I've recently installed 2000 and the same thing has happened.

Is there a way to prevent this, and is there a way to know if it will happen?

Sherry

Sherry R

Re: Strange characters in e-mail attachments (2000/ 9.0.2720)

Additional information:

Since one person was getting these other characters, he had me give him the file on a disk so that he could bring it up on his own system and then e-mail it, but when it came up on his - the characters were still there. He says he has Word 98. I thought it went from 97 to 2000, so I'm not sure what his is.

Another file was originally e-mailed to me. It was created in Word (I assume 2000). I edited a little bit of it in Word 97. As a test I brought it up in 2000 and e-mailed it to someone else, and the part that I edited has the same problem.

I still have Windows 95 in case that makes any difference.

Sherry

Thanks

There was a Word 98 for the Macintosh, but...

When you save the document, what format is it in? Is it saving back to the native Word 97 format, or something else?

Does the same thing happen if you close the document, create a message, and attach the file using Insert File?

It's particularly unusual that you edited a Word document in Word 97, then just the part you worked on had funny characters in it when the other person got it. Are you using an unusual font that might not be available on the other person's computer (so Word tries the font it thinks is the closest)?

Sherry R

Thank you for the reply. I've saved the documents as Word documents. I haven't tried Insert File yet, but I will.

That's the part that really stumped me, the one that I edited in Word, since it didn't pass through WP at all. I'm using Times New Roman, so I'm sure that wouldn't have anything to do with it.

It's been suggested that things like curly quotes and some WP characters don't convert to Word, so that might explain the other files, but it still leaves the problem of this one that was only worked on in Word.

Sherry

Sherry R

From the newsgroup I received instruction on how to search specifically for the WordPerfect typographical symbols to replace the curly quotes, apostrophes, etc. However, one of the characters I use a lot is a bullet and I haven't figured out how to change that one, except one by one. I haven't received any feedback yet from the two people I've tested this with, but I think substituting these characters should solve the problem.

Sherry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Sherry: I have been doing a search for anything re WP typographic symbols and Word 2000 (which uses Unicode). I'd be grateful if you would share your info received from the newsgroup that helped you. (I have not been able to access the Word Newsgroup via Outlook Express the Newsgroups for about 3 weeks. ) TIA

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I hope this doesn't just confuse the issue more, but for what it's worth:

If you upgrade a document created in WordPerfect to Word, it will display fine as long as it is on a machine with WordPerfect on it (or that has once had it. This is because WordPerfect uses it's own fonts (WP Typographic Symbols) to put in things like apostrophes, pound signs, etc, and as long as the font is there Word will display it correctly. However, as soon as you open the document on a machine that has not got/had WordPerfect, the font is missing and Word substitutes the strange symbols you are seeing.

The best way to clear this completely is:

- select the whole document and change the font to the one you want to use. The 'bad' symbols are then displayed.
    - select the first 'bad' symbol and press copy.
    - open the find and replace box and in the find box, press Ctrl-V (paste). (You have to use the keyboard because the menu isn't accessible in the find and replace box).
    - type your required character in the replace box and click Replace All.
    - check through your document, repeating the above until all the characters are replaced.

If you have to deal with a lot of converted WP documents you might like to record the above steps as a macro and just run it when you open the documents.

HTH
    Beryl M

Sherry R

Hi, P. McGinty - What Beryl, below, says is what someone else explained to me, that if those characters are on your computer from WordPerfect, then it displays correctly, but someone else that doesn't have it gets the weird replacements.

I think Beryl's solution is similar to what someone on the newsgroup told me. That one said to do the search and replace, but in the search box to click the Special category (I don't have Word running right now, so I forget it that's the exact name) and for Fonts, choose the WP Typographical font. Then one can search for the apostrophe or quotation mark specifically as the WP character and replace it with a regular one.

If I know I'm going to be e-mailing it, I either turn of the curly quotes in WP or switch them before converting to Word.

My one problem, though, is the bullets. Number one, the two programs don't have the same sized bullet. Number two, I haven't figured out how to do a Replace with the bullet character. I finally mapped the Word bullet to a key combination and then I go through and replace them individually. There usually aren't too many, so it's not really a big deal.

If any one knows if it's possible to get the same sized bullet as WordPerfect or how to do the automatic replace for it, that would be nice!!

Sherry