Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

transitions in bulleted listsP (PowerPoint 2003 SP2)

I'm trying to make each bullet point in a list appear one at a time. The slides were created using a MS PP template, so each bulleted list is contained within a template text box. I was able to do this quite a while ago but can't remember what I did!! My suspicion is that it has something to do with the text box and the use of a template rather than my own design. MS PP Help suggestion (use "fade in one by one") only managed to have the title of the slide appear first, followed by all the text box content, the bullets, next and all at once.

Kind of a picky question but am hoping a Lounger will have some suggestions. Thanks for any help you can offer!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: transitions in bulleted listsP (PowerPoint 2003 SP2)

Select one of the text boxes with bullet points.
    Select Slide Show | Custom Animation...
    This will display the Custom Animation task pane.
    Select the effect that you want to use (Appear).
    Right-click the effect in the list of animations, and select Effect Options... from the popup list.
    Activate the Text Animation tab.
    The combo box on this tab lets you specify how the effect will be applied.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: transitions in bulleted listsP (PowerPoint 200

Thanks, Hans. I've printed out your instructions, will try them out asap and get back to you re. how they worked. Appreciate your fast response!!

Linda

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Irene

As well as what Hans said this may help:
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/PowerPoint_Line by line.html

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John, thanks for the additional info. I had tried to follow Hans' instructions last night, but was having some difficulty getting it to work correctly. Got bullets to appear one by one, but they would then fade in and out instead of just staying there. Decided it was too late and I was too tired so will go at it again this morning, armed with Hans' and your notes. Will report back on success and challenges. Again, appreciate your suggestion and the great link!

Linda

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In the Text Animation tab of the Text Effects dialog, you must select the level at which you want to group the bullets. If you want level 2 bullets to appear individually, you must select "By 2nd level" in the dropdown.

I have attached a very simple example.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Wait! I just tried the suggestion on John's link (i.e., select whole text box and apply "appear") and tried the slide in Slide Show ---- and it's perfect! Not sure if I tried this but didn't test it before or went straight to Custom Animation and bypassed it, but whatever, I think I'm there! You can ignore my initial note which follows. The test slide worked perfectly, on click at at time, and I'm off to use the same method for the other slides. Will let you know if I have problems. Thanks again. As always, this Lounge solved my challenge efficiently and quickly!!

Linda :-)
    Original Message: Well, phooey. I've been at this all morning, Hans and John, and the best I can do is get the main first level bullet to come up when I click followed by all the others, one after the other, but all at once. I'm trying to get each second level bullet to appear only as I click rather than when I click the first time to get the first level bullet to appear. I've tried custom animation and timing and effect options/ animations, but can't figure out how to make the bullets start on a separate click. Is it possible? Am I misunderstanding the instructions?

Linda

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I did use the second level and did have the same result as in your example. However, as you can see from my edited post, the solution has been found. With the whole text box animated, the first and second level bullets appear only each time I click, which was exactly what I was trying for. Again, many thanks for your prompt response - especially helpful as I'm trying to get this presentation completed today!

Linda