Thread: Loss of Spam?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Loss of Spam?

Sometime during the last two weeks (or so), almost all of the spam has disappeared from my computer! Where I used to get anywhere from 250-300 messages a day, I'm down to about 15 or even less! I have done nothing that I am aware of to help this happen. My ISP is sbc (AT&T).

Has this happened to others? Do you know why? I can't believe someone finally found a way to get rid of these jerks.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Loss of Spam?

AT&T has recently implemented an updated very aggressive spam filter. Unfortunately, it also catches a fair amount of non-spam too. If you are using this for any business activites or other important e-mail I'd be very suspicious. AT&T are also blacklisting sites right & left because of this new filter. I had to spend an inordinate amount of time clearing up our work domain with AT&T last week. In spite of the pain in the rear that spam is, I'd much rather have it all come to me and let me dispose of it as opposed to AT&T or any ISP deciding for me.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Joe,
    This sounds very similar to what Verizon was doing a few years ago. They were arbitrarily filtering out what THEY thought was Spam, despite what their customers were telling them. ( like me ) I went through many days of pleading, threatening and going up the chain of command at Verizon until they apparently relented
    ( at least for my mail ) and "whitelisted" the sites in question. One of which was the Lounge!

You are 100% correct when you say "let ME do the decision making here".
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,
    Interesting! I've noticed a considerable drop in spam over the last two/three days, down from about 15-20 a day to 3-4. Also interesting is that my ISP (Orange) spam filter doesn't seem to be filtering off the difference, the spam just doesn't seem to be coming (for the moment at least) in its usual quantities. Perhaps I'm seeing a knock-on effect from filtering elsewhere - or perhaps the spam'ers are suffering from a bout of temporary RSI?
    Keith

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Ya know, now that you and CD have mentioned it, my spam count has also dropped in recent times and I hadn't thought anything about it. Of course, I'm a home, retired user so I don't get near the volume of email that some folks do. My ISP is Insight Communications, so we're all using different companies. I do have to wonder whether there's something more aggressive going on back "up the line" somewhere, like at places such as SpamCop and all those kinds of outfits. I've no idea.

It IS somewhat worrisome that one can miss legit email and not ever know about it, or at least not until too late...