3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

xp home upgrade on new hdd (XP home SP2)

I have been asked to help........originally the computer OS was upgraded from windows98 with legit XP home upgrade disc. The old HDD has just died and he has bought a new 80gb HDD (formated I think) Meanwhile the old windows98 OS install disc has long disappeared and the legit XP upgrade wont even begin to start evn if the bios is set to boot from cd first.I suspect that this is because there is nothing to boot from on the new HDD. Is it possible to install XP on the new HDD using only the upgrade disc?
    (edit) I have suggested it might be worthwhile getting a windows98 off ebay to install first and the upgrade from there

Thanks

Re: xp home upgrade on new hdd (XP home SP2)

Jeff,
    Having nothing on the HDD should not prevent you from booting to a CD.
    Can you see if the BIOS is recognizing the new HD at all? Maybe it isn't formatted or partitioned?

Using an Upgrade version of Windows used to require "proof" of an older installation of Windows. This was usually having a copy of a CD with Windows on it or remnants of the old OS on the HD. I know I had used any spare Windows CD to do it. The installation routine just looked at the "proof" CD to see if certain files were there. Do you still have a copy of the ID number from the old system?

I would Download a copy of a Windows Boot CD from your machine and then use it on your friends installation.

A few are available at BOOTDISK
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: xp home upgrade on new hdd (XP home SP2)

Bob you directed me in the right direction as doing a few checks over the phone indeed the BIOS is not recognising the HDD. So Im guessing when I get there in person if I can get it to boot by using a boot cd. can then initialise and format etc prior to trying the install again.