New Lounger
    Thanks

Yahoo! Messenger casualty? (Home Premium)

From "Windows Vista Timesaving Techniques for Dummies" I "hardened" IE with all the lockdown settings in Table 18-1. Things are generally faster in Firefox, which is nice. BUT Yahoo! Messenger (which I've had installed for over 8 months now) will not stay open now and I get an error message that there is a Windows conflict. Could this be a result of the edited internet lockdown settings (ie does it need some sort of XAML or scripting to be enabled?) ? The error window tells me I can download a new version of Yahoo Messenger but I figured I'd check here first.
    Appreciated,
    J

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Yahoo! Messenger casualty? (Home Premium)

If there is a new version available try that first. It is entirely possible that Yahoo Messenger (YM) needs some sort of scripting. I'd also question the value of locking down IE unless you are prone to visiting questionable sites. I've been running IE7 on XP since it was in beta and on Vista since it was released to MSDN. I've never had to change the default security settings and have never had a problem. Also, many other programs depend on the IE internet settings. You could inadvertantly cause yourself all sorts of problems.

Joe
    Joe