4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Convert Table to Text (2003/SR2)

I have a table with 3 columns. Column 1 contains a first name, column 2 contains the last name and column 3 contains a number. I want to convert the table to text but seperate the first name and last name by a space and then seperate the number by a tab. Pushing it one step further, I would like the number to be enclosed in parentheses. I have over a 1,000 names so using a convert and then maybe a Find and Replace would be ideal. Is there a way to do that? Thanks.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Convert Table to Text (2003/SR2)

I'd copy the table into an Excel worksheet. You can then use formulas to concatenate the values, e.g.
    <code>
    =A1&" "&B1&CHAR(9)&"("&C1&")"</code>

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've had to do this before. Insert a blank column in between the first name & the last name columns. Insert 3 extra blank cols between the last name & the number. Then convert to text, separating by tabs. With all your text highlighted, do the number first -- replace 4 tabs with 1 tab and a left parenthesis -- replace all. Then globally replace 2 tabs with a space and you have your names separated by a space. Finally, globally replace paragraph returns with a right parenthesis and a paragraph return. You're done!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I knew that there was a way to manipulate the table and do this. It's seems kind of like a strange way to do this but it works perfectly and it's not hard to do. You just have to be smarter than the program. I'm glad that you are. Thanks for the help, Nancy.

Hans, your way would have worked too, the table started in Excel and I moved it to Word because I thought I could just easily convert it.