Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing Styles (Word 2000 SR-1)

I am trying to apply a different style to some text. I highlight the text and select a different style. The dialog box pops up asking if I want "Update the style to reflect recent changes?" or "Reapply the formatting of the style to the selection?". The style I am changing it to is correctly listed in this box. I select the "Reapply..." option and click OK. While it changes the formatting of the text to the new style, in the style box on the toolbar, it still says the style name I had just changed it from.
    So, while it looks like I want it to, if I were to go back at a later date to verify all the correct styles are applied, I would have to check each one, since the incorrect style name is listed in the style box on the toolbar.
    I was working on this same document yesterday and was doing similar changes and did NOT have this problem. It was changing the formatting and the name of the style.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Ruth

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Changing Styles (Word 2000 SR-1)

Have you tried using the find/replace method? You can find (hit the More button, then Format, then Style, and choose old style) and replace with (Format-Style and choose the new style) and hit Find next and hit replace whenever it reaches a paragraph that uses that style. Don't type any text in either the find or replace box.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, thank you. I have tried this method. It does not change the "name" of the style, just the formatting.

Thanks

Hi Ruth,

What is probably happening here is that you are seeing a character style listed. Text can have both paragraph and character styles applied simultaneously. If this is the case, the character style will over-ride the paragraph style and will be displayed in the listing.

For more on styles you may want to look at (addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm) <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kenyonck.addr.com/usersguide/styles.htm> (backup site - Understanding Styles)

You can remove the character style by selecting the text (and some surrounding text if possible) and pressing Ctrl-Spacebar. By design, reapplying the paragraph style (or even a new paragraph style) will not over-ride the character style.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Further to earlier replies it does sound like you could be confusing 'paragraph' styles with character formatting. If you want to confirm what is going on with your formatting you can always use the context sensitive help tool (arrow with question mark) or shift + F1.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I am not confusing the two. I am trying to change the entire paragraph style. I am highlighting the entire paragraph (paragraph mark included) and trying to change the style. And while it changes the "look" of the text, it leaves the style name the old name.

Thanks

Hi Ruth,

What happens if you select the entire paragraph (including paragraph mark at the end) and press Ctrl-Spacebar?

The only way I know of to get the behavior you are describing is by applying a character style. This should be removed using the Ctrl-Spacebar technique.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Charles,

I was not involved in the creating of this document. I only got involved when it needed updating. I do not understand why there was character formatting in a paragraph where every word appeared to have the same formatting. Perhaps I DON'T really know about character formatting!

But I did as you suggested and this DID change the name of the style correctly!
    So, I stand corrected when I told the other person that I was not getting them confused! Apparently I was, I just did not know there WAS character formatting in the text!

Thanks for your help.

Ruth