3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sort / Filter (2002 / 10)

I have two spreadsheets, one from 2007 and one for 2008. The information contained are customers who have contracted with our company for annual lawn care. My boss would like to send reminder postcards to those who have not returned their contracts for 2008. How would I sort out from the 2007 file the names that are not on the 2008 file? Is this possible?

Thanks

Re: Sort / Filter (2002 / 10)

You can use a MATCH to look at some unique identifier in one list to the other. If you do not have a "cutomer ID", you may have to combine some columns together as an intermediate then use a MATCH on that column.

If you provided a couple sample spreadsheets (can be with fake data but your setup) we could provide a more detailed answer...

Steve

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Let's say the customer names are in column A, starting in A2.

Open both workbooks.
    Activate the one for 2007.
    In the first empty column, enter the word Missing in row 1.
    In row 2, start entering the following formula:

=ISERROR(MATCH(A2,

Then (while still in formula edit mode), activate the 2008 worksheet and select the range with names.
    You'll see something like

=ISERROR(MATCH(A2,[Data2008.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100

Complete the formula by typing ,0)) and pressing Enter. You should see something like the following in the formula bar:

=ISERROR(MATCH(A2,[Data2008.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$A$100,0))

Fill down as far as needed. You can use AutoFilter to select only the TRUE values in this column.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Again you have come through for me!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! My boss was going to sit down with hard copies of both files and visually compare them to find the "missing" 2008 customers. I told him I KNEW there was an easier and better way (as you can guess, he's computer illiterate, but it's because he's visually impaired, which makes it even worse that he was going to compare them that way!) I keep all the "answers" from Woody's Lounge for future reference; I learn more each time I come here. Thanks again!