Star Lounger
    Thanks

HP C4180 Printer Problem

I have been using this printer for about 5 months now, and up until recently I had never needed to use the scan to computer function. I can print fine, and scan an image to print fine, but when it comes to scanning an image to my computer to review it before printing, I get the error message, "An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again."

Well it is connected properly (via USB) because I can print just fine, as well as view the ink cartridge levels on my computer as well. I have the necessary "HP Digital Imaging Monitor " program starting with my computer, but despite my efforts I still can't scan the image to my computer.

When I click on "Scan Menu," I even get the option of where I want to image to go (in this case, "Photosmart Premier."

If anyone has any suggestions I will gladly listen!

Thank you,

-Ben

Thanks

Re: HP C4180 Printer Problem

Ben,
    I don't have this HP combo unit but a few things come to mind, since I went through a problem with my HP 4890 photo scanner a while back.

1. have you checked for the latest drivers for this unit at HPC4180

2. Checked for bi directional support at Control Panel>Printers and Faxes>Set printer preferences>Ports (per the screenshot)

3. Used HP live tech support on line. That has worked out well for me in that you get a printed copy of your works with the tech and there is no language misunderstandings as with a telephone call.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

And in addition, although this may not be the problem, but it's easy to do and worth checking. I had similar problems with my Canon scanner until I turned OFF power conservation to each of the root hubs in Device Manager, USB (see attached combo screen capture of two screens). My scans have not failed ever since.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bob, I tried your suggestion to no prevail.

Al, I tried your suggestion, and that didn't work either.

That being said I will most likely contact customer support and have them give me a solution.

Thank you for your time.

-Ben