3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Generic Volume Problem (SR2)

I've got problems getting Windows XP to read a USB flash memory drive.
    In Device Manager, I have a yellow icon against Storage Volumes, Generic Volume. I click on properties, and it says 'no drivers are installed for this device'. I go to the driver tab; if I update, it says it can't find anything better that the one I have already installed (!); it refuses to uninstall (the device just comes back); the driver details button tells me I have volsnap.sys installed. In Total Commander, I can click on the drive letter, but am then told that the driver is not found. In Explorer, it will sometimes show up a blank space, sometimes tell me that the drive is unavailable, sometimes begin the AutoPlay routine and then cut out. It has been working OK up till today ... Can anyone help on this please?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Generic Volume Problem (SR2)

Uninstall this volsnap.sys driver. Reboot machine and then give the thumb drive a try.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Generic Volume Problem (SR2)

thanks -- but I don't think that worked. I've only one USB port,, that doesn't work as it should owing to a loose connection. I normally connect my USB drives through a PCMCIA card--and that's now not working at all. Just nothing happens when I stick the USB stick in the slots--though it still powers my speakers fine as before.