New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Home Server (WHS)

Hey - I'm a newbie when it comes to servers. I set up my WHS on a pretty powerful PC. I've been wondering if I could use this PC w/WHS on it myself. Not just from another computer when logged on thru the console. But actually leave keyboard, mouse & monitor w/KVM switch & actually use it for ripping music, editing photos, etc.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Windows Home Server (WHS)

If you installed WHS yourself you probably can. It may not be a good idea though. See WHS OEM - Can the PC be both a server and a 'workstation'? - Windows Home Server Community Forums for more discussion.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    If you installed WHS yourself you probably can. It may not be a good idea though.
    In my experience WHS needs to be attended to from time to time via an attached keyboard, mouse and monitor, (e.g. when automatic updates fail). They do not need to be dedicated, but if they are then you can use your WHS server as a PC. You just have to be very careful what you are doing. Do not alter any of the shared structure via Windows Explorer, do it all via the Home Server Console (which you can run on the server rather than one of the clients if this is more convenient.)

The way I had my WHS set up was I did all maintence to shared folders (adding new ones, moving things around) via the Home Server Console running on the server and also controlled the backups and status flags from there. On the clients I just accessed shared files via the workroup.