Lounger
    Thanks

Recent Problems (Windows XP)

I recently started to get a message at boot up that is on the black screen and says something about power problems I did the test and did not see get any trouble report so since then (about two weeks) I have just been hitting one of the F keys that it instructed me to do so that I can skip the testing
    Now since that
    - I have tried to re-access my Turbo Tax and when it tries to open it gets to the place where is says Initializing Cab Framework and then it tells me - ERROR REPORTING to Windows etc
    - TOday AVG tells me along with kernel32/user32/and shell32.dll have CHANGED
    - along with ntoskrnl.exe CHANGED
    I know that exe. files and dll files are critical files - are all these problems inter-related and what should I be doing about it

PS I also think I may have downloaded some files off of the net - I also did virus scan in free AVG and came back OK

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recent Problems (Windows XP)

Also just found a virus that was quarantined in AVG this is what is says VIRUS NAME JS/Downloader.Agent FILE NAME in[1].htm

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't have so much time at the moment, but just some info. related to some of your questions. Other Loungers probably also can help. And please come back with some more information about hardware etc. (laptop? file system, NTFS? etc.).

Are you talking about the black screen (white text) known as Startup Recovery menu (usually shown after an unsuccessful shutdown or start)? (It do mention, among many reasons, why it's shown: "If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.").

As long as you can start in Normal Mode or Safe Mode, it's a good start to check for malware (virus etc.), nothing wrong there. You should also look at the logs in Event Viewer. Click "Start"|Run... and type "eventvwr" and click OK. Look at the System and Application logs in console tree (left) and in details pane (right) see if you find any error or warnings (double-click the event to view).

Beside Event Viewer I would start with a drive error check. Either run "chkdsk /r" at the command prompt for the system drive, or right-click the drive in My Computer, select Properties, Tools tab, Error check, and check the second check box. The check will be scheduled until next boot time, so reboot. It will repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information. Though, on large drives it may take some time. Search the Lounge for "chkdsk" or "error check" for more information.

I don't know about "Turbo Tax", but any application problem can be related to disk drive problem.

It may be that you have not seen it before, or it's the first change of the files since AVG was installed. But AVG, by default, monitors some system files. If the PC is otherwise clean it can look a bit suspicious when it's shown on the "Virus results" tab. See screen shot. But in general, it is nothing to worry about, since it's a result of updated files from MSFT. See <post:=675,792>post 675,792</post:> and thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Addendum:
    Some days ago I read at askwoody.com: Microsoft botches pushed .NET patch about some problems with .NET 2.0 Service Pack 1, that could affect among other TurboTax.

What you wrote about are most probably separate issues.

If you would like more help, you'll have to come back.