New Lounger
    Thanks

Not installed for the current user error (XP/2002

Been hunting and googling all day for a solution, but nothing I've found seems to work. I have a user that has Office XP SBE installed for 1-2 years now, and all of the sudden last week all his programs tell him "Excel (or Word) is not installed for the current user. I found 2 MS KB articles & tried them both without success. Tried numerous other suggestions dealing with ownership, security, data.dat files, etc. Completely removed and reinstalled Office and still get the same thing! Searched the forums here & didn't get any hits, but I know there's a lot of great knowledge here in the member's collective. From all the posts in other forums about it I feel it must be fairly common, but not many posts have any real solutions (or better yet, what causes it?) Any help would be great.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not installed for the current user error (XP/2002

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

Have you tried the suggestion given in office setup Microsoft Word has not been installed...?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not installed for the current user error (XP/

Had not seen that one yet, but will give it a try. Will post back tomorrow with results.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the link Hans, but it didn't work either. Even the new account (with admin privileges) got the same error. Going to try another R&R tomorrow with a thorough reg-cleaning after the uninstall to see if any traces of Office remain. Worst case scenario is re-shoot the box completely, but that's the last resort. Seems like Windows likes to be re-loaded about once a year or two anyway.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Good luck! Removing all traces of Office from the registry before reinstalling is a good idea.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Just remember: when you will install Office, do it from "Add or Remove Programs" wizard (appwiz.cpl), not from Autorun or Windows Explorer (all versions of Windows except Vista); or with elevated Administrator privileges ("Run as Administrator") in Windows Vista.