4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using LOOKUP formulae (Excel 2003)

Hi Loungers......I am having trouble using the LOOKUP wizard in Excel...I am attaching a sample s-sheet. There are 2 worksheets--one (NAME) shows staff names and I insert various jobsites under their names for certain days....on the 2dn worksheet (PLACE), I want a use a LOOKUP formula that will 'read' the assignments on the NAME sheet and insert the staff name under the appropriate jobsite for the proper day...so that people can search their jobsite by either location or name....the LOOKUP wizard doesn't seem to be too much of a wizard, mainly b/c it is hard to understand how it works...can someone give me a sample that I can use to ste this up, or point me to where I can learn LOOKUPs (horizontal or vertical...not sure which is needed here)...thank you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using LOOKUP formulae (Excel 2003)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by mbarron on 17-Apr-08 22:38. Forgot the formula)</P>Lookups aren't going to do the job. You need to use a combination of INDEX and MATCH.

Without VBA you cannot have two people assigned to the same job on the same day. You also need to have the job name the same on both sheets. I've made changes to the original sheet and highlight the caveats.

The formula in D4, which can be drug to the right and then down: (or down and then to the right)
    =IF(ISNA(INDEX(NAME!$D$2:$G$2,MATCH(D$3,NAME!$D3:$ G3,0))),"",INDEX(NAME!$D$2:$G$2,MATCH(D$3,NAME!$D3 :$G3,0)))

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for that...complicated formula, yet simple....I keep getting an error message (Cannot shift objects off sheet) when I try to hide some columns....any idea what that is all about--I have deleted, cleared etc everything in the columns and yet the message continues....

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

i"m back mbarron.....just realized that I forgot to include in my original sample the fact that on occasion, a jobsite might be preceded by a single asterisk (or 2..or 3 asterisks) ...this triggers a color change.....but when that happens, the person's name won't show on the 2008Places sheet (b/c of the asterisk)....is there some way to have the formula that you used on the 2008Places sheet also read or recognize text that is preceded by 1 or more asterisks....maybe by using a SUBSTITUTE formula to strip the asterisk out on the Places worksheet?...I don't realy care about having the coloring come thru to the Places worksheet, and if I want that, I'll juts use the same cond. formatting ....thanks for your help witjh this...I've attached a modified book to show you what I mean...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Enter the following formula in D22 on the 2008Place sheet as an array formula, i.e. confirm with Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    <code>
    =IF(ISNA(INDEX('2008NAME'!$D$10:$K$10,MATCH(D$10,S UBSTITUTE('2008NAME'!$D22:$K22,"*",""),0))),"",IND EX('2008NAME'!$D$10:$K$10,MATCH(D$10,SUBSTITUTE('2 008NAME'!$D22:$K22,"*",""),0)))
    </code>
    Note: the browser will probably insert line breaks in the formula, but it's one long formula.
    Fill down to D44, then right to column Q.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Or slightly shorter, still as an array formula:
    <code>
    =IF(ISNA(MATCH(D$10,SUBSTITUTE('2008NAME'!$D22:$K2 2,"*",""),0)),"",INDEX('2008NAME'!$D$10:$K$10,MATC H(D$10,SUBSTITUTE('2008NAME'!$D22:$K22,"*",""),0)) )
    </code>
    This formula tests ISNA directly on the result of MATCH instead of on the result of INDEX.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your help, Hans, and for the article on "Shifting objetcs" when hiding rows...have a good weekend,