3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Vista virtual machine in XP system (Windows XP SP2)

Hi all. Where I work we're almost all using Windows XP SP2. We are now beginning to deploy Windows Vista. We're trying to figure out how to support both OS's at the helpdesk. One idea is to install Vista on our XP machines and dual boot. I had an idea to install Vista in a virtual machine using Virtual PC. We could each then launch Vista as needed. One caveat I see is that Vista is a resource hog and thus the helpdesk machines would need plenty of RAM. Do you think 3 gigs per machine is enough for both XP and Vista? I'd go to 4 gigs but my understanding is that XP can't really use 4 gigs due to a problem with virtual address space limitations inherent in 32-bit systems. Let me know your thoughts.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Vista virtual machine in XP system (Windows XP SP2)

IMO, if you are deploying Vista to replace XP then Vista ought to be the primary OS. Either dual boot or run XP in a VM. Make it at least a little inconvenient to use XP. Just make sure that the PC can handle Vista. See <post:=690,032>post 690,032</post:> and the rest of that thread for a discussion about hardware. I think that Vista is part of the natural evolution of OSes. Most of the PC users & media have forgotten all the 'weeping and gnashing of teeth' when XP was first released. The limitation on visible RAM is with a 32-bit operating system (Win2k,XP, or Vista). You memory needs depend on what you will be running.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Vista virtual machine in XP system (Windows XP SP2)

The idea with dual boot is impractical: help desk operators will need at least 5 minutes to logoff, reboot and logon to different OS.

For this purpose, you will need well equipped Vista machines with XP running on Virtual PC. Vista SP-1 can handle 4 GB of RAM easily, just make sure that you have at least 3 GHz or better CPUs.
    For my experience, operating XP from VM on Vista may freeze computer from time to time (especially on workstation-server activities); operating Vista from VM on XP will freeze computer almost certainly in the most inappropriate moment.