Thanks

.NET uninstall (2.0 and 3.0)

I have had a problem with a photo processing program I have been trying out (PhaseOne's CaptureOne 4) on a 30 day trial. Suddenly on day 28 it wouldn't start - it kept "encountering a problem" and closing as soon as I tried to start it. I had also been having a problem with a Windows update that kept saying it needed to be installed every time I shut down the PC.

To cut a long story short, after some research, from Add/Remove Programs I uninstalled an update to .NET framework 2.0, and lo and behold! CaptureOne 4 works again. The PhaseOne website says that the program needs .NET framework 3.0, which I had already installed, but somehow the update to .NET 2.0 interfered with it.

So it occurred to me that it might be a good idea to uninstall .NET framework 2.0, so that the same update wouldn't be downloaded again, and spoil things again. But it won't let me uninstall .NET 2.0. I get the message in the screenshot below.

The kb article referenced takes me to a page that says that the KB article I requested is not available, so that is no help. How can I check which programs on my PC need .NET 2.0? Presumably if I found out I could, if it turns out to be something I don't use, uninstall the program then uninstall .NET 2.0.

Ian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Re: .NET uninstall (2.0 and 3.0)

According to a 2006 post, "Typical examples [of applications that use .Net 2.0] are: the new control panel for ATI video cards, or Windows OneCare anti-virus." Perhaps dependencies are stored in the registry somewhere.

While Googling around, I found a blog post about a tool for blowing away .Net completely as a last resort: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/200.../30/611355.aspx

Thanks

Re: .NET uninstall (2.0 and 3.0)

I have the problem cured, now, thanks.

As mentioned before, uninstalling the rogue update to .NET 2.0 put things back to normal. Windows later offered me the same update, but through the yellow shield in the notification area. I let it install, ready to uninstall it again if need be, but this time it seems to have installed successfully, and CaptureOne still works.

Thanks.

Ian