New Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard error while Installing WHS on a Dell 330 (WHS OEM 1/22/2008)

This one’s got me stumped.

Problem: Keyboard is not responding and I cannot get into the BIOS.

Error message:
    Primary hard disk drive 0 not found
    Secondary hard disk drive 0 not found

Sil 3114 SATARaid BIOS Version 5.0.18
    Copyright stuff….

Press <Ctrl+S> or F4 to enter Raid utility
    0 WDC WD10EASC-00ZJB0

Neither Ctrl+S or F4 work. For that matter, no other keys work except Crtl+Alt+Delete??
    I’ve tried all combinations of keys F6, F2, F12, Crtl+S hitting them rapidly and slowly during boot. The system always stops with the same error message. Sometimes the error message adds a line “Keyboard error” above “Primary hard disk drive 0 not found”.

I’ve checked all connections multiple times and reseated boards, etc. etc. All power is connected and the PS2 keyboard worked just fine prior to install. I also tried another PS2 keyboard – same error. Nothing was hot-swapped.

Why is this happening?

OK, so how did I get here?
    First off, I broke a cardinal rule and installed a bunch of new items hoping it would work – what can I say, I’m an optimist<g>.

Here’s what I did:
    • Removed the working 80GB IDE HD w/ Win2K OS (The Dell 330 was an old CAD station at work)
    • Unplugged the CD-ROM (cannot be used for WHS)
    • Installed SIIG SATA 4-channel RAID controller (MOBO doesn’t support SATA)
    • Installed Western Digital Caviar GP 1TB SATA drive
    • Temporarily installed a DVD reader from my main computer. This will be removed after WHS install.

So you ask, why did I do this? The original 80 GB IDE hard drive is six years old. It’s had a hard life of 24/7 power on and working 8-5 for those six years. Frankly, I don’t trust it to be the main HD for my WHS. In addition, everything I’ve read (Thanks Woody!) indicates to put the biggest drive as the primary drive – hence the 1TB WD hard drive installation prior to startup.

Specs:
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A08
    (Boot order of CD-ROM, Floppy, Hard drive was set before removing Win2K OS)
    Mother Board: DP/N MX-06E152-12405-19E0704

WHS install:
    I have all the 2003 Server drivers ready to install from floppy for the SATA controller and on-board Network Interface controller. I just can’t get to that point!

Network:
    4 computers and about 750GB of data to be backed up

Solutions in order of preference:
    1. Get the system running in this configuration. What should I do and in what order to make that happen?
    a. Reflash CMOS?
    b. Temporarily run Win2K from 80GB HD to update BIOS?
    c. Temporarily run Win2K from 80GB HD so DVD can be added to BIOS?
    2. Reinstall the 80GB IDE drive and use it to install WHS. Then add the SATA drive. Super easy to do and I’m sure it will work – BUT this makes me REAL nervous because I will have the same problem if the primary drive dies and I need to reinstall WHS. If that happens I won’t have my backup data on separate drives as I do right now. It will ALL be on the WHS. Scary!!
    3. As to #2 above. Is WHS smart enough to transfer itself to the secondary drive if the primary drive dies??

Sorry for the extended post, but I figured the necessary information would help.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks

Re: Keyboard error while Installing WHS on a Dell 330 (WHS OEM 1/22/2008)

Hi Mark, and Welcome to Woody's Lounge.

This is just a shot in the dark. You say that you have tried two different keyboards. I assume that you have tried these keyboards on other machines and have verified that they are indeed working? If so, are these keyboards "plain jane" keyboards, or do the Function keys have alternate functions? I've run into similar situations with multimedia keyboards whereby I had to press the F Lock key at the very start of the boot sequence in order for the Function Keys to assume their "proper" functions. If I failed to press the F Lock key, all of the Function Keys would automatically assume the secondary functions.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.
    The keyboards are both plain jane - no fancy dance media controls or F Lock for that matter. Both came from working machines and went back to working machines - still working.
    Somewhere I read that switching out a CD player to a DVD player causes goofy things like my BIOS keyboard errors - but I can't document it. It was one of those things I read while searching for another item and didn't read any further in the post.

Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to the Lounge!

To access Phoenix BIOS, you need to press Ctrl, Alt, and Esc keys simultaneously during bootup. Older versions of Phoenix BIOS may require to press Ctrl, Alt, and S or Ctrl, Alt, and Insert keys.
    Phoenix BIOS yields SATA controller BIOS, but you need to change Phoenix BIOS settings first if you want to set RAID array and so on.

To install Windows Server family OS, first that you need is to prepare bootable CD with appropriate SATA drivers embedded. There are many step-by step instructions how to do it; see, for example, HOWTO: Create a Slipstreamed Bootable Windows XP Install CD with F6-less Windows Install (please note that all steps for Server 2003 OS are the same.) You can embed SP-2 for Server 2003 into the same CD.

When you prepare bootable installation CD, configure your hardware the way you want to use it, then change BIOS settings if necessary, and finally, boot from your CD and install OS.

----Later addition---

Messages "Primary hard disk drive 0 not found" and "Secondary hard disk drive 0 not found" mean that no hard drives are connected to primary and secondary IDE controllers on your motherboard. If you use additional SATA controller, this is correct. To get rid of these messages, you need to access motherboard BIOS and set all primary and secondary hard drives from "Auto" to "None" but not for the controller where IDE CD/DVD drive is connected!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplinb,

Wow!! Great tips.

Now I need to roll up the sleeves and give that a try. Thanks for the link.
    It will be a day or so before I can create the slipstream process (new for me and work calls for the next couple days).
    The other challenge I'm having is the BIOS doesn't seem to be able to find the temporarily installed DVD. I'll try to roll that into the slipstream as well.

Who said computers aren't fun!!?? You get to learn something new everything they fail<g>.
    I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks,
    Mark

BTW - I disabled the SATA drive and used the old IDE HD (no OS) to get at the BIOS. It has been updated to version A-09.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Check the jumper on your IDE DVD - it suppose to be on "Master " or "CS" (Cable Select) position. If you have a hard drive on the same secondary controller (ribbon cable), set DVD jumper on "master" and HD on "slave" position.

If this is SATA DVD drive, try to use IDE drive instead.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did check that. It is currently set to CS since it was in-line with my other optical drive in my main computer.
    It is an IDE CD/DVD player (Samsung SD-616T).

I've tried installing the DVD two ways to the IDE ribbon cable in the Dell 330. Leaving the jumper in CS, I've placed the DVD either after the (not needed but working) CD player or alone w/o the CD. Doesn't matter - BIOS won't find it. BIOS is set to Auto for Secondary Drive 1 & 2.
    BIOS does find the CD player, just not the DVD player. Errggh.

If the slipstream doesn't work, I may just install Win2K on the 80GB to solve the DVD conflict and then install WHS over it.
    DVD is mighty important for WHS<g>!!

Thanks,
    Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Set the jumper to Master and connect it as the only device on secondary IDE controller.

New Lounger
    Thanks

The trumpets sounded, stars aligned and I won the Jackpot...well two out of three ain't bad.<g>
    That was it!! A simple jumper setting. Yeesh.

Thanks tons for the tip. I can now install WHS on the old 80GB drive.

However, since I now have the ability to install on the 80GB I'm going to try your suggestion of a Slipstream install with a SATA drivers.
    Now is the time to learn with a solid safety net of the 80 GB (and the great help in the forum!!).

Arms extended for quick cracking of knuckles and flexed fingers poised over the keyboard...ready to dive into the deep end of Slipstreaming. I let you know how it goes.

Thanks again Kaplinb - I couldn't have done without the great help.
    Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

Kaplinb,

UPDATE

After reading all the (complex) Slipstream info I could find and then getting an error message on the first thing I tried - running ROBOCOPY (a 32bit error), I decided it was too much for me. It came down to me not understanding what I was doing and blindly following the instructions and using software that was outside my area of expertise.
    I opted to go the simpler route and install WHS on the 80GB IDE and then add the SATA drive later. My soon to be new WHS computer is happily making DVD read write whoosing noises right now.

Thanks again for everything!!!

Mark