rbarr3766

system tray startups

In win98 under start>run you could type msconfig to access the systray startup items (actually all startup items) and turn on and off accordingly. Is there some place that does the same thing for w2k?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: system tray startups

Hi
    <UL><UL><LI>You could try Task Manager via CTRL/ALT/DEL.
    <LI> You can run MSCONFIG under Win 2k (if you have a dual boot system) by ignoring the first four error screens.
    <LI>Slip over to my web site and grab TaskKiller. Put it in the QuickLaunch bar, and run it. Kill anything (non-essential!) you don't like.
    <LI>If you want to add things to your systray, use Quicktray from your Windows CD (under Reskit/Desktop iirc).[/list]Rgds

rbarr3766

Want to kill task items from coming on again at startup. Does task killer do that?
    Does the quicktray do that? Have to check it out....
    Thank for the info.

rbarr3766

Tried your task killer it didn't work........

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Find a copy of msconfig.exe in a Win98 Windows directory, and copy it to your C:Winnt directory. Start, run, msconfig, and ignore the first 4 error msgs. Then turn the switches on and off at your pleasure.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

....as pointed out also in my post of 16th Aug.
    However, it does not always behave quite as expected in Win 2k (hardly surprising) and if you really need to turn start-up programs on and off, I recommend Process Explorer. (#24b from my web site). It's very small and it's also freeware. This is very comprehensive, and is meant for more experienced users.
    A somewhat different and more intuitive approach, which does the same thing, puts an icon in Control Panel, which you can open like MSCONFIG and disable items one by one. Works in 2kP. Freeware, my site, #39.

Rgds

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Roger
    Sorry; I too checked out TaskKiller and found it wasn't fully functional in Win 2k. I couldn't access the home page either. I have therefore replaced it with a newer shinier little app that does the same thing, only properly. My web site, still #24a - Kill Process, but #24b is even better. A simpler approach is Start UpCPL, #39.
    Thanks for pointing out the anomaly. As you may appreciate, I rely on users telling me these things, as once up, and unless I'm using them on my system, I don't have time to re-check everything frequently.

In most cases 'kill' is not a permanent change, so the programs do come back on next boot. In some cases, when the Killer tells you what is running, you can then locate its folder and rename the .exe to exx or whatever. Does not always work : sometimes the system can find another version which it latches on to. In StartUpCPL they stay disabled until you bring 'em back.

QuickTray : you can add apps with this that will run on start-up, and whose icons will appear in the Systray. You can remove only the ones you've added in this way. The changes it makes do stick. I use it to put shortcuts to AdAware, AdSearch, Check Links and Spychecker in the systray, where they run happily in the background.

If you just need a handy shortcut, use the QuickLaunch part of the task bar. These are not running in the background.

Rgds and Tx